Michigan Detailer TruckTechniques's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Renting space at a dealer

Does anyone here detail in rented space at a dealership or another form of shop?

I`m cuious how feasible this is instead of starting up at my home.

Thanks!
    Joe
    Joe
    TruckTechniques.com in Michigan

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done that before. I worked out of a tuning shop last year for a few months. They would do things like motor swaps and turbo upgrades and fun stuff like that. After the car had been sitting there for a few weeks it was in pretty bad shape. Even the insides would get all messed up with wire strippings and all that. So I would come in three times a week and work on cars for 5 or 6 hours a day. The deal I made with the shop was that the customer would pay them and then they would pay me. I gave them the minimum that I would work for and then whatever they wanted to charge the customer above and beyond that was up to them. The ended up tacking on $20-$50 per vehicle depending on the amount of work I was doing. They ended up taking around 25% of the total charge to the customer. That kind of deal worked out really well for them. I didn`t have to pay them for the space because technically I was doing them a favor by getting the cars cleaned up for them. They attracted a lot of good business that way. They could sell a detail job on a car that came in to have something simple like a cold air intake installed. It was a really good arrangement. They moved their shop this spring and its a little far out of my way to really work out that well anymore. I still have a day job that I have to focus on and I can`t really deal with the extra time its going to take me to get out there. They still call me on occasion when they have a customer who really needs their car done, but their cut is less because I`m not getting the volume anymore.

If you work it out with the shop to give them a cut of what you make then I`ll bet they could make some kind of arrangement with you. All you really need is access to water, power and shade and you are all set. Focus on smaller dealerships and you`ll have better success. Most of the larger ones either have a detail shop or already have a deal worked out with a crew that comes in to spray off the cars or something like that. A smaller shop usually can`t provide the type of volume that a mobile crew needs. Smaller dealerships are much easier to make deals with.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Thread Information