Post Thanks / Like

Bringing back single stage paint ?`s

Hey guys and girls! I`m new to this site but have been detailing my car for somewhile mainly with meguiars and 3M.

I have a 93 Mustang GT convertible. It is vibrant red and a single stage paint. I have swirl marks on the hood and oxidation on the door and rear panels. The trunk lid has much worse oxidation.

These are the products I have and have used.
    DACP
    meg swirl mark remover
    meg hi-tech wax

I also have 3M rubbing compound (paste) but haven`t used it.

I have used DACP by hand and get good results except for the trunk, it fades right back to crappy very quickly. The front of the car stays nice but the rear likes to fade a lot.

I have been thinking of taking it to a good body shop and having them buff the car with a rotary to get the best possible starting finish. What do you guys think of this idea? Have them remove swirl marks and all paint flaws that can be removed. After the paint is as good as can get I`d like to use Klasse AIO and the Klasse SG to protect the new finish. I DO NOT want all my hard work going back to what it is at this point. Is this the best possible to keep it perfect? I know that I will eventually have the colored lower body trim repainted as it can`t be restore from what I understand. I have the rear bumper repainted and it looks great, just need the front, and side skirts done.

I thought about purchasing the PC and trying it with yellow pads and DACP but I figure I could get a good body shop to probably do a better job? Please lend me some suggestions. Thanks a ton!!

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    I am surprised that the 93 has single stage paint on it.
    A rotary in the hands of a skilled operator will definitely cut down the amount of work and in my opinion cut through the oxidation and give you more shine. However I would look at some of the paint that whoever you are taking it to has done. I have seen some really good stuff come out of a body shop and some really bad stuff.
    Once you get the paint to where it looks good you definitely need to put a sealant or wax on it or it will quickly turn back to where it is now. Klasse AIO an SG are a good way to go but there are many others as well. Another approach after buffing would be to apply a good glaze and top it with a carnuba wax or Meguiar`s NXT sealant/wax. If it is single stage paint, they respond well to glazes ... especially old paint that is in need of nourishment from the oils in the glaze.
    Sorry such a long post ... good luck!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    kimwallace thanks for you response, what kind of price could I expect from a body shop to do this? A range would be great since I have no clue. As far as the 93 having a single stage paint, it was a special rare color for that year mustang, wish it had a clear coat but doesn`t. The 93 Cobra (1st year) had only 9 vibrant red (single stage), 8 were destroyed by ford and 1 was used as a promotion car. Its a really beautiful color IMO. I really like using #7 and meg`s hi-tech wax but they don`t last long at all. That is why I`m thinking Klasse AIO and SG after it is prof buffed. Are there better sealants then Klasse for durability?? I want to maintain this finish as perfect as possible since only the sealant/wax will be protecting the paint. I`m in school so I can`t afford a total repaint of the car. And would prefer if possible to not have to repaint it besides the trim. Thanks for your help. I`d love to hear other people`s oppions as I am sure there are many knowledgeable people on this site. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am responding so this will be brought back to the top.
    As far as a price to get it buffed by a pro ... take it to a couple of places and get some estimates.
    Without seeing the car it is very difficult to give an accurate price and different areas of the country get different rates for their work.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Vibred93 - see the thread title "paging superiorshine" that was awesome. And I saw one recently with a orange fiesta that was good too. Don`t remember what I was searching for but search for fiesta and you`ll find that one.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Thread Information