Thread: boat detailing

Post Thanks / Like

boat detailing

i forgot to ask this and have been meaning to . but what process do you guys use for detailing boats???? is it pretty much the same as with a car or is there special wax and polishes i need to purchase
    Steve
    owner
    Mr. sparkle auto wash & detail

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve:
    Kind of surprising that you haven`t had any response. Several members do boats and I really expected some of them to comment.
    First off, I`m not a pro. I only do my own stuff. My 1993 Chris Craft still looks like new and has been kept up with the same products and procedures I use on my vehicles. It works for me, but if I were going to do it professionally, I think I would look into the Meguiar`s line of marine detailing products.
    1. The marine products might be a little different and work better on boats.
    2. It will make you look even more professional by using products that are meant for boats and are not available at Wal*mart.

Anyway, maybe the boat professionals will jump in and give you the answers you are looking for.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok I thought more people would have answered too, but I sell a lot of PwC to boat detailers. It works very well and is very durable in water, easy to use and remove.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: boat detailing

we use mcguire`s Flagship wax for the boats themselves, for the hulls we use safe AR hull cleaner, or a product called zing which is also meant for hulls, then there is zing for pontoons which is good for getting barnacles off the pontoons and the lower unit of the motor. We use another wax made by north woods products which is a spray wax, we use that on outboards on occasion. where a paste wax could get stuck in some of the crevices, we don`t have the problem with the spray wax. for a vacume we use a craftsman clean@carry 4 gallon 5 hp and we love it, then we also have canister vac with beater brushes that we use on pontoons where there is enough room .
    We havent gotten our extractor yet, but that will be the first part of this season, so far all we have done is shampood and pressure washed carpets and its worked just fine. Be carefull of old nasty pontoon carpets and presure washers though, and carefull of decalls.. We like to stay 18 inches away from the decals .. hope that helps you out a bit ! .. good luck

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: boat detailing

For a different perspective on how to achieve the best result when restoring faded fiberglass gelcoat to like new color, shine and luster, my friend has an excellent intro article and pictures on his website. Also, same fiberglass gelcoat restoration procedure on Filon panels for RV`s and travel trailers.

IMHO, you may find it informative, even if you don`t want to do restoration his way. Here it is: Restore Like New Color & Shine to Faded Fiberglas Gelcoat

Thread Information