Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Local prices...sad

I found two ads in the paper today for $75 complete!!!! That`s what I`m charging this year, but I`m just doing it out of my driveway on the side, these were legitimate businesses. How can someone make any money charging that little as a business? I`ve looked into ad prices and the size of one was $500...that`s 7 details just to pay for the ad!! Is it worth trying to compete with these people or should they just be left to choke on thier low income until they give up?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s probably bordering on the bait and switch that the carpet cleaners do and isn`t much more than a wash, wax and light shampoo of the carpet. All the other things are extra...
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    $75 a full detail !!! I bet its a cleaner wax and a vac and dress. They should not be around long. Is there a demand for low-end cheap detailing ???
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Clean Dean
    Is there a demand for low-end cheap detailing ???
    The problem is that 99% of the motoring public thinks a wash/cleaner wax/vacuum IS a complete detail. The idea of using different levels of polises and cleaners is beyond their comprehension. I try to simplify it by saying that the finish needed to be buffed X number of times to bring it back to like new condition...
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Same thing here - local car wash chain charges 120 for simonize !! - wash and wax basically
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at Clean Dean`s work and his general prices on his web site - : - ) you get what you pay for (and I think his prices are cheap for the results I have seen! - no idea what Nick0844 charges but his results are great too!) -
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a pretty poor area. Most are middle class so I don`t think you could charge above $150 and be busy, even with quality work. Around here most shops charge between $120-$150. There`s one that`s $200. Quality from all is sub par from my stand point. I`m going to call the bottom feeders sometime this week and find out what they`re doing.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the McDonald`s vs. Morton`s Steakhouse analogy can be applied here
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the "competition" in my area that charges $50 - $75 for a complete detail....... I send people to them that want to negotiate my prices with me...

I would be more intimidated if someone were to move into my area and charge as much (or more) than me... That may mean actual competition...

Bill D. - great analogy! If people want a quick hamburger - they go to McDonalds... For a delicious juicy filet mignon, which takes longer to cook and costs considerably more, they go to Morton`s, The Steakhouse... (Savor the good life!)

nthespot
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Glorified cleaning lady M23Accord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Justify your work. I started taking pics of every car I`ve done and like the old adage says "a pic is worth a thousand words". If they still want the sub $100 detail, I dont want them as clients. But, I guess it really depends on the area you live in. Plenty of wealth here in NJ so I dont care for the cheapos. I generally charge $200 and regret it everytime. They always tell me they expected it to be more....

Post Thanks / Like
    All I have to say here is, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
    I can do a car for $75 or $150, Two completely different details though

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here on the southside of Atlanta most detailers charge $75 and $100, and this is what you get.......

Wash with a filthy dirty mitt with soap/water that has washed probally 4 or 5 cars before they change it.
    Dry it with a terry towel
    Pressure wash and degrease engine and spray the "blue dressing" on it
    Scrub carpet with the same degreaser that was used on the engine and tires. Shop vac up.
    Spray and overly amount of tire dressing on tires, so it slings on sides, windows and roof.
    Spray fender wells with tire dressing
    Hand wax with Midnight Special if it is a dark color and Cherry wax if it light
    Clean windows with windex and newspaper

I won`t get out of bed on the weekend for less than $100, nor will I do $75 worth of work. I say this because if someone asks that person who did the work, I don`t want them thinking "what a crap job".

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got a couple of shops here that charge 100 for a detail, but then if you want carpets cleaned that`s extra, and the list can go on from there. I`m at 200 to 225 depending on the car and condition.
    I always tell my customers, who would you rather have work on your car, a guy that has no experience uses a check list and has no product knowledge, or me with over 30 years experience and understands the products that I use, and only works on one or two car a day. I pride myself in quality and my cars show that, so when I deliver mine back I don`t have to justify my asking price.

I also think alot of people think a wash/wax and vac wipe down is a detail...........WRONG
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they`re just dirty cheap college students like myself. When you don`t have a family, mortgage, or even a car payment, 80 bucks for a full detail ain`t all that bad. Of course, that`s not claying or DACP, I`d just use Klasse AIO and SG on the exterior for that much.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The term `full detail` is very subjective too. They could consider using a one step surface product, tire foam on the wheels, armor all the dash, and vacuum the interior their version of a `full detail`. If they can bust that out in an hour (which is possible to do) then they are raking it in.

Its actually not a such bad concept.... bait them with a low price for a job and then upsell them on everything they really want. Maybe its a little unethical, but if you do it right then its not so bad. I don`t mean advertise something that is too good to be true and then switch them when they get there. I just mean maybe offer a service for way below what it really costs you and then upsell them on other things. Offer a wax for $10 off but tell them they have to get the $35 wash before you can wax it. Something like that. Its just good advertising and marketing I think.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information