Thread: washing rims

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like

washing rims

I think this thread got deleted, and I didn`t get a chance to see who replied. For those who responded, could you respond again?
    I was wondering if you wash your tires/rims first or last? Does it really matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it matter you do them first and the lower part of the vehicle also.

Boss_429
    III,

The main reasons you do tires/rims/wheel wells first, is because you don`t want water sitting on the paint surface turning into water spots while you are washing the tires/rims etc. If you try and dry the vehicle first before duing the tires/rims, you`ll just get more water back paint as your are washing/rinsing those areas.

Don`t forget to use a different wash mitt on the rims and grungy areas. You don`t want to use the same mitt on the paint.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429
    III,

The main reasons you do tires/rims/wheel wells first, is because you don`t want water sitting on the paint surface turning into water spots while you are washing the tires/rims etc. If you try and dry the vehicle first before duing the tires/rims, you`ll just get more water back paint as your are washing/rinsing those areas.

Don`t forget to use a different wash mitt on the rims and grungy areas. You don`t want to use the same mitt on the paint.
    I don`t disagree with you. I`ve been doing my tires/rims first up untill about 2 weeks ago. Now I do them last. (just wanted to try something different and experiment) As far as water drying while I`m washing the rims, I`ve been keeping the paint wet at all times so this won`t happen. I do this anyhow as sometimes I`ll notice that while I`m washing one side of my full size truck, the other side will start to dry too quickly. So, I just re-wet the whole other side. When I`m all done with the whole vehicle, I`ll go over the whole vehicle again using the sheeting technique. On the flip side of things, sometimes when I do my rims first I`ll notice that the water will dry on the rims while I`m washing the paint. So, I guess it can go both ways? Anyhow, I just want to see what other people do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I do them last . I do this because i want clean soap on the car!and i use a seperate mit for this. and the car can dry off a little while i do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Boss. Do them last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Either works. I`ve done both and found it depends on if the water from the wheel area gets back onto the paint and dries up. Its more of the user`s choice

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wheels, tires, wheelwells, engine compartment are always my first projects.
    I just use my regular car wash soap with a wash bucket and a wash mitt that is just for those areas.
    Probably my main reason was to not have to worry about the body getting dry and water spotting while I did the grunge areas.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I always do the engine, wheels, tires, and wheel wells first so that spotting will not occur. I use a seperate bucket, sponge, and regular car suds. It`s too much work to do them after you wash the car.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been testing out a Dupont product that has no acids, is a wheel and tire cleaner and is *supposed* to add teflon protection - not sure about that but - I spray the wheel the tire, everything one at a time, use a brush for behind the spokes and an old sheep mit for the fronts - then spray clean - they come out great and the tires get cleaned too - no scrubbing just let the foam sit while I clean the wheels -

Hey NICK - was it you that was saying you use OxyClean spray cleaner on your wheels?? i was thinking about checking that out
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the new Oxy Orange or something like that which is specifically made for wheels works awesome.....I need to pick more of it up. My results were on painted/clear coated rims and worked great!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Thread Information