Thread: The wrong oil

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The wrong oil

My wife had her oil changed on her 2004. I`ve been using synthetic oil in it. Well needless to say the car no longer has synthetic in it. She told me that whatever the owners manual said to use is what was put in.The vehicle has 12/14 thousand miles on it. Now my questions are these. Is the car ok as is or should I drain the oil and put in synthetic? Next is, if the car is ok can I go back to synthetic on the next change? Thank you. Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    The owners manual mentions Dino oil ? She may have meant the oils`s Weight.

New/clean oil is good oil, I would not dump it out simply becuase it was not synthetic oil. Leave it in for 3k or the manu recommended interval and go back to synthetic then.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    actually Rick, once you go synthetic you can`t go back. Seems i had this conversation with a mechanic friend who did that, but on an older vehicle, and after the customer drove for a couple days , there was black smoke coming out the exhaust:dunno they went through a long conversation and seems the guy had been using synthetic but neglected to tell my friend, thus he had to re-do oil change and the smoke disappeared in a matter of moments...your car is relatively new and it might not happen, but I`d switch back and take it as a lesson learned:dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy,

That was correct when Syn oil first came out but now you can interchange Dino with synthetic at any time, it even comes blended by Oil makers.

Imagine being on a road trip having Syn in your car and you find you need a qt and cannot locate one at a gas station. You can mix and match todays oils

Syn oil cleans out and prevents any gunk/sludge from forming inside an engine, what likely happened to your friends older car is that there was gunk/sludge/carbon on the engines valve seals, when the syn oil started to break that down it was burned by the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you will be fine. Just switch back the next oil change. I know of people who run regualr oil all the time until race day. However, I have heard on high mile engine you should not use pure Synthetic cause it is too thin. But who knows. If you really want a straight answer go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There won`t be any issue at all. Use the oil for 3,000 miles, then go back to synthetic. I switched from syn to dino when I did an Auto-Rx treatment (really good engine cleaner) for 1,500 miles then went back to synthetic. No problems whatsoever.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx everyone. I went to the business and talked to the guy. He said her car never had synthetic oil in it. I told him I KNEW IT DID. Well from now on it will as I had them write it in our file all our cars get synthetic. Thanks everyone for responding. I truly appreciate it.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Thread Information