Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best pads

Post Thanks / Like

Best pads

I am about to get a PC and am wondering about pads. Many recommend the meguiar pad set, but then as Ive been reading I have heard good things about lake country pads also and other brands.

so whats the low down? is it all preference or is there a real difference between these pads?

thanks for any info yall can give me

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used both Meguiars and lake country, both are quality pads and have worked well. The problems you are reading about are related to cleaning the pads and running the PC on speed 6. This based on my personal experience.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are differences in pad size, texture, and shape. Just like with most detailing supplies, there is no "best" product. You just have to find something that suits your needs at a price you are willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said awd330.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt ask for the best as that is clearly subjective, I asked for induviduals opinions and for information people have learned through first hand experiences, as, while I would love to purchase every different pad out, that is simply not monetarily wise. I am attempting to "find something that suits your needs at a price you are willing to pay." I cannot accomplish this by buying pads which may be a waste of time/money.

could anyone give me information on the differences the different brands have....I understand some are different sizes, shapes, material, color etc etc, I was hoping to find some information on the differences exhibited when different brands are used.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I only use edge pads...

Had alot of success with them, and have no intention of using any others. Lake Country and Meg`s are very good also, but for me ....The Edge...hands down.

Once you start using a product for some time you will develop familiarity with the product, that you will not want to deviate from.
    I reccomend that you try all 3, see which one you like best and stay with it.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean Dean nailed the answer "Once you start using a product for some time you will develop familiarity with the product, that you will not want to deviate from."
    I believe it is the same with pads, polishes, MF`s and most everything we use. Most of the products on the market are there because someone thinks they work great.
    I use the Meguiars pads for now and here is what I like about them:
    1. Only three to choose from ... cutting, polishing, finishing.
    2. They are available locally at the auto body supply stores
    3. The quality is consistant
    4. There are enough other people that use them so I can always ask specific questions about the pads and certain products used on them.
    I am sure there are better pads but like everything else, you need to start somewhere and work on developing a process with the tools in hand to achieve the results you are looking for.
    If you cannot achieve what you want, then it is time to try something else.
    Just my opinion!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by justayoungmc
    I didnt ask for the best as that is clearly subjective, I asked for induviduals opinions and for information people have learned through first hand experiences, as, while I would love to purchase every different pad out, that is simply not monetarily wise. I am attempting to "find something that suits your needs at a price you are willing to pay." I cannot accomplish this by buying pads which may be a waste of time/money.

could anyone give me information on the differences the different brands have....I understand some are different sizes, shapes, material, color etc etc, I was hoping to find some information on the differences exhibited when different brands are used.

thanks
    It`s not necessary to buy every different pad available to get started with a PC. However, you are certainly going to need to buy more than one pad, so why not experiment with some different designs? To paraphrase Clean Dean and kimwallace, just try a few from the major manufacturers and see what features you like about each one. Then, go from there.

My personal favorites are the Lake Country 7.5" Curved Edge Pads (also known as the Advanced Variable Contact pads). These are available from many online vendors including this board`s primary sponsor, Premiumautocare.com. The features I find desirable are: beveled edge to reach into tight spots, concave center to reduce splatter, and recessed backing pad mount to protect the pad and the vehicle from coming in contact with the sharp edge of the backing plate.

I posted a few photos of various pads in this thread -

New PC

Post Thanks / Like
    thats odd...posted a few hours ago but doesnt look like it showed up.

you dont get any odd vibration with those larger pads?

thanks for the link I enjoyed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats odd...posted a few hours ago but doesnt look like it showed up.

i get vibrations from those pads. i dont really care to use them. too big for the pc imo.
    Justin
    Now Driving: 1998 Black 4Runner
    Have a nice day

Post Thanks / Like

No, I don`t get a lot of undue vibration from the 7.5" pads. I use a 6" solid (not flexible) backing plate and a 6" counterweight. I find that the shape of the 7.5" Advanced pad is much easier to maneuver over bumps and in tight spots even though the overall pad is big. I have other brands, sizes, and shapes of pads on hand to choose from but those are my favorites. As always, your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at those, the contoured shape looks like it would be a big bonus.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at those, the contoured shape looks like it would be a big bonus.
    The contours are most helpful when you have to deal with a lot of transitional areas (hood scoops, fender flares, mirrors, pillars, etc.). On the other hand, the contours mean that there is less surface area in contact with the paint at any particular time. So, this "big" pad may actually cover less area than a smaller flat 6.5" pad.

Everything is a trade-off. That`s why you need to just try some different pad designs and figure out what meets your needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey CD do you use Edge with rotary and PC or just rotary?
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ended up buying a few edge pads....but one of them starting comming apart the first time I used it : / , prolly try out the lc soon, hope it holds up a bit better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information