Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NXT over 4* UPP

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation NXT over 4* UPP

I just can`t let well enough alone. I have 2.5x of UPP on the black Santa Fe for well over a month now. S&W, FD and a couple of "velvet" washes at my favorite Shell dealer and the finish was starting to show some minor swirls.

I was too lazy to go the full route of #80, #81 and UPP, so I gave the car a coat of NXT at speed 4.5 on my PC. OH, MY! What a nice shine - and the depth! I can`t wait `til tomorrow to see if there is the usual improvement.

I plan to give the car a coat of UPP in a day or two to allow the NXT to set up thoroughly.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps you missed the information where it was shown that NXT has abrasives in it that just removed all of the UPP on your car. NXT is a very good cleaner wax and it is probably all that is on your car right now. I`ve personally seen it clean up some not so nice oxidation on cars since I`ve been using it.

What exactly is 2.5 layers of UPP? How did you put half a layer on? Just curious.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 1/2 layer was a coat on the horizontal "reflective" surfaces.

I have my doubts about the extent of the abrasives in NXT. The MSDS lists calcined kaolin clay as the only ingredient that could be classed as an abrasive - and it`s not very.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell that to the oxidation on the Expedition that I used it on. I still don`t think it is a very wise product to use on top of other products. UPP would probably look good over NXT, but I don`t think I would do it the other way. Anything with even mild abrasives is going to do some work on UPP if you apply it at setting 4.5 on a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I plan to give the car a coat of UPP in a day or two to allow the NXT to set up thoroughly."

The car looks great now and I have a hunch that it will look even better when I get around to the UPP redux.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Keep us posted on how it looks after the UPP goes on. I love NXT, but its nothing in comparison to UPP. Its going to be an interesting look for a base product. I`m definitely looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My "2.5x" of UPP that I covered - or erased - with NXT was applied over 2x NXT. UPP kept fresh with Final Detail, in my opinion, is the optimum finish for my black Santa Fe.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you be creating a bonding issue with UPP over NXT?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think so as it`s polymer to polymer - UPP won`t bond a a carnuba or glazed prep but should be okay with Nxt
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jngrbrdman
    Anything with even mild abrasives is going to do some work on UPP if you apply it at setting 4.5 on a PC.
    For that matter, anything with no abrasives can have an abrading effect when applied with PC at the 4.5 setting.

How much abrading effect will depend upon the application material. Take for example a foam polishing pad like Meguiar`s W-8006.

This type of foam, oscillating at the 4.5 setting with baby oil would still offer a type of abrading effect. Next time you have your PC out, lay your hand down flat on your car`s hood and run the PC over it on the 4.5 setting and see how that feels.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

Click on a book to get your own copy.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    I don`t think so as it`s polymer to polymer - UPP won`t bond a a carnuba or glazed prep but should be okay with Nxt
    The filling capability of NXT has me thinking that it might have some fillers:doh in it. Would those fillers make any difference in the bonding?

FWIW, I have AIO/UPP on one vehicle and PwC/NXT on another. Both look great. I`m not sure you could tell which one had what products. Never considered combining the NXT with the UPP. Probably won`t, but it is another option. Option number 1,891, I think.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the bonding issue is overrated.
    I have used UPP over a glaze and it lasted quite a while ... maybe not as long as when used over AIO.
    It also produced a wetter look.
    If durability is your main concern ... use as directed ... however many times I am trying to achieve a certain look and durability is not my main concern.
    But the cars I experiment on the most are usually redone every 30 days or so anyway.
    Just my .02
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gadfly
    My "2.5x" of UPP that I covered - or erased - with NXT was applied over 2x NXT. UPP kept fresh with Final Detail, in my opinion, is the optimum finish for my black Santa Fe.
    And this is why I always say,

"Find something you like and use it often"

If it looks good in your eyes, then it`s the right product for your paint and for your taste. If you use it often, then your finish will always look brand new.

Just the act of pushing a smooth, creamy product from any company over a painted finish has a "Polishing Effect".

This is why when ever I see one of those Brass Relief Maps at tourist stops, that show a relief of the area, there is always one spot that is shiny like gold... that`s the spot that has an arrow pointing to it that says,

"You are here"

Just the act of hundreds of people taking their finger and Touching this one little spot, over and over again, with the small amount of body oils on their skin, has a polishing effect that keeps this one little area of brass all clean and shiny, while the rest of the brass relief map is tarnished like an old worn penny.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Twitter
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    FWIW, I have AIO/UPP on one vehicle and PwC/NXT on another.

Charles
    After applying a fresh coat of each of your selected toppers, inspect the finish in different light. If there is a difference, it will usually be in richness of color.

Also, around noonish, pull the car out into direct sunlight and put the sun right down in the center of one waxed area and inspect. Then move your head in such a way as to position the sun in the other waxed area. Often times you will see a difference inspecting like this.

I`m out of here... I have to go quick detail the wife`s black Pilot, and then I`m going to test out Meguiar`s Quik Wax Marine Aerosol on the finish.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Twitter
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, guys. I just finished applying. by hand with a yellow "foamie.," a second coat of NXT on my black Santa Fe. The temperature is 85 degrees with a fair amount of humidity. I`ll wait until 3:35 EDT to remove it with a "Concours Detailing Cloth" under a Wal-Mart 2,800 OPM. $15 orbital.

I expect very good results, but I will report anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information