Post Thanks / Like

What would you bid this job at?

Alright, I know what I bid and I am doing the job tomarrow. I want to see what you`d bid.
    1990 40 ft lond race car trailer. Used for 5 years and has spent the last 10 years in storage in Indiana. It`s white painted aluminum. Guys says the paint is in great condition but it has some oxidation. He also wants inside done, front half has bins and cabinets along all the walls and the back half is the same as the outside. He wants the whole thing polished and sealed. More background, he said he`s good with an orbital and it polishes up pretty easy. He`s very busy getting his two race cars ready to do the job himself. He`d love to take his newly purchased trailer that`l accomidate both cars but is embarrased to take it in the shape it`s in now. OK, I bid and got the job at $1,000. I figure it`l prob take the better part of two days.
    What would you bid?
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get a grand out of it then I say more power to you. I don`t think that job would take me two days to do. I`m sure its an 8 hour job though. Its just a lot of flat surfaces though. That polishes up pretty quick. I`d quote him at probably $450-$500 for the full day job. Of course, I would have to see it before I could quote anything. You`ve seen the trailer so that helps you. If it looks like a grand then that is what you should charge. If you put 8 hours a day into it for two days then that would be over 60 bucks an hour if you billed at a grand. I think this job would be easier than a car, but its going to tie you up for a whole day that you could be making other clients who will give you referals. 8 hours at $450 is still over $55 an hour and that is acceptable for me. But, like I said... I`d have to see the vehicle before I could really quote that.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    No I haven`t seen it. I`m going off the description he gave me. Then, as I always do, I consider the job twice as bad as the customer tells me. It comes out that I`m pretty accurate with that statement. I quoted $1000 because of the unknown. Maybe the job is like he says, easy, in that case I`ll take the $1000 with a smile. If its as bad as I think, It`s a $1000 job, in which case I`ll earn my keep.
    denverdetail

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t make it a round number like $1,000. Instead make it something like $984. It makes it seem like you calculated using precise guidelines, instead of just pulling a nice plump number out of the air. This is what car salesman do. Also 3 digits will seem like less that 4, even though the difference is small.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say not more than $1000. That way you can price it accordingly but still can get the $1000 out of it if need be. I`ve done a race car trailer before and it`s not the funnest thing in the world.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the time when quoting I always give a range and say the plus and minus is based on how long it will take, and I can give them a accurate quote once I see the rig.
    I`ve learned that you can bury yourself if you don`t see the rig and really know what you up against
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear what you say about not knowing what I`m up against. The reality is that people want to know what it will cost them on the phone and the other reality is that I do not have time to run around quoting jobs, there are plenty of other detailers in the phone book who will always quiote a price. I`m pretty good about explaining why its hard to give an exact price. I give a usually give a range and upsell when I get to the job. This guy was a bull though, he said "tell me exactly what it will cost" I kind of threw out the $1000 quote to get a reaction from him. No reaction, he just gave a hardy "when can you be here? I`m leaving Sunday. I need to get this done right away" Seems to me like the guy would pay anything so he can use the trailer for the weekend. Hope it`s easy money for me!
    denverdetail

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok,
    So the day was cut short by some nasty thunderstorms. I`ll be able to finish tomarow. If you`d like to know, the job is not that bad. Put 5 hours in today, another 4 tops tomarow. Interesting situation with this trailer, a large portion of left side has exhast fumes covering it. It wouldn`t wash off with the pressure washer even after srubbing it with soap and a brush, buffed out pretty easy but it would have destroyed a few pads. I tried degreaser to no avail, pulled out Goof Off which was the key. Came off pretty easy with that.
    denverdetail

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like it will be pretty easy money weather pending.... does he want anything done to the inside of it as well or just the outside... Sounds like a good few days pay congrats!!!!

Jay
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Post Thanks / Like
    He wants the whole thing, inside and out. Incuding polishing the interior. The deal is gonna work out pretty good for me money wise. I took a big chance bidding the job before I saw it though. It could have been a nightmare, in which case I was going to tell him I couldn`t do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like this worked out pretty good for you. Most times it`s much better to go out and see exactly what`s involved and then base your price accoringly. Meeting the new prospective customer and seeing what`s involved in the job can lead to getting top dollar for your work. I`m glad to hear that everything appears to be going along as planned. Good for you.

Thread Information