Post Thanks / Like

Finished my first PC detail

Whew! Man, what a workout! I started my first detail (on my truck) with my new PC at 0630 and didn`t finish it all until 1330! I guess I went rather slow to make sure I got it right. This is what I did:

wash
    clay
    PC and Hi-Temp Light Cut with white polish pad
    wash tires and dress with Meguiars gel
    vacuum and wipe down interior
    windows

Not too many steps and I guess I should have used the UPC, but I thought I`d never finish. My truck looks better than when it was new. Let me ask you guys a few time-base questions:

1. How long do you clay in one spot? Just a couple of strokes back and forth or what?

2. When polishing with the PC, how much product you use and does the quantity matter? Some spots I used more than others, so it took longer to work.

3. In a 2`x2` area (or even 3`x3`), how long should I spend polishing? I guess it depends on how much you squirt on the pad.

Any speed tips would be helpful.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Porter Cable for beginners

This is from the ROADFLY site, it`s long, but it`s a good read.

P.S. 7 hours isn`t bad, I`ve been known to go 15+ (much to the wife`s irritation )
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finished my first PC detail

Originally posted by rtbrick

1. How long do you clay in one spot? Just a couple of strokes back and forth or what?

Don answered your other questions by pointing you to `Steve L`s` guide on using the PC. A great read and very informative...

Regarding claying, I clay until I`ve removed the contaminates. This might involve a few strokes back and forth or it might call for 10 strokes back and forth... Sometimes I have to clay in one area for quite awhile if I`m removing overspray, fallout, or raildust.

Regards,
    Onthespot

Post Thanks / Like
    The key to the PC, as with many things, is practice. You will learn which types of paint like which types of products and how much product to use. I have a little plastic squegee that I use to spread the products on the pads and it works well. Just don`t jump for that cutting pad all the time. Unless the finish is a mess, start with a polishing pad and a very mild polish like Poorboys Pro, or something like that. As far as clay goes, don`t get hung up on it. Just a few light strokes should do it. Poorboy clays after polishing to clean up areas that need it, and it`s not a bad idea. The polish will remove most of the contaminants, leaving only a bit for the clay to do. Definitely read the article in the link above and practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read that article before, but negelected to review it before using the PC. I don`t see how some of you can go all day long on a single car. Gotta love it! I did about half of my detail in the blazing sun. I don`t have a garage.

The PC was so much easier than doing things by hand. I was a bit apprehenisve about using any kind of polisher until I found this forum. My eyes have been opened!

I`m looking forward to getting even better results on my wifes car. A dark blue 2002 Protege5. It has to go into the shop for some collision work (not here fault). Once it comes back I`ll do all of the unaffected panels.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Thread Information