Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-23-2005

Default I need major help please!!

I just got a '02 M5 about 2 months ago, I thought I got a Carbon Black with all black sport leather interior, but after a week or so after getting the car, I started to notice the leathers on all the seats are fading.. At first I thought the previous owner had it out on the sun mostly so the leather starts to crack, so I finally took it to the leather restoration shop today...

As it turns out, the leather is not fading.. The previous owner appearently didn't like the two tones leather seat on it so he (or some professional shop) spray painted a black layer of paint on top of the original leather (it was original black/silverstone) And the top paint on the silverstone leather started to crack in some area now...

I can use my finger nail to scrub off the paint, but because the leather is textured and the size of it, it's almost impossible to hand scrub it with a perfect result. The leather underneath it is perfect and showroom clean so I guess he did it when the car was new. My question is, what is the best method to remove the top coat of paint without damaging the leather? The top paint is quite loose in most area but the paint on the seating area is quite tough. I doubt regular leather cleaner can do it and am too afraid to use something drastic like thinner... Please help!!!!
Old 03-23-2005
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: I need major help please!!

Well, I have to admit I've never heard of this one before.

And, I have no idea how to remove the paint. Did you try contacting the previous owner to see who did the work? Maybe they can give you an idea on removal.

The easiest, although most expensive way, would be to have new leather installed on the seating surfaces.
Old 03-24-2005

Would it be a good idea to use lacquer thinner? I managed to hand scrubed most of the paints on the door panel way, only the seats left but they're stuck on much tougher. Will lacquer thinner damage the original dye or the leather? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2005
Mothers® Polish

Lacquer thinner is a poor choice for leather - it will penetrate, and you'll likely never get the smell out.

Plus, it will change the color of the original leather dye.

No luck with contacting the person who did the painting?
Closed Thread