Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-04-2006

Default Scratch in dash - pic attached

Any suggestions for the scratch a t.v. put in my dashboard?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Scratch in dash - pic attached

Looks like a fairly good scuff on that vinyl... if you test what a dab of water will make it look like, probably some vinyl dressing will help masque it.

If you start getting into dyeing it, it may be more trouble and cost than it's worth, and the results may not be too satisfactory if you try it yourself.

Usually that can be done by a professional at a detailer or upholstery shop -- or by someone they have visit their shops once in a while. But it may be not be worth the cost for you.
Old 04-04-2006

yeah, it's really not that big of a deal!! what vinyl dressing should i use? thanks for your help in these posts. You are a genius!
Old 04-04-2006
Administrator

Use a quality vinyl dressing. If you're shopping Mothers, either Protectant or Reflections Tire Care -- it's really a personal choice. On some surfaces Tire Care gives a richer look, with less gloss.

Be sure to buff lightly afterwards with an absorbent microfiber or cotton terry towel.
Old 04-04-2006

i bought Reflections Advanced Tire Care i will try using that! should i use it on the entire dash or just where the big scratch is?
Old 04-04-2006
Administrator

Do the entire section.
Old 04-04-2006

It doesn't look that bad, but I know that it bothers you. It would bother me. A protectant would be the way to go. Once applied, I doubt that you would be able to tell that it is there.
Old 05-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Use a quality vinyl dressing. If you're shopping Mothers, either Protectant or Reflections Tire Care -- it's really a personal choice. On some surfaces Tire Care gives a richer look, with less gloss.

Be sure to buff lightly afterwards with an absorbent microfiber or cotton terry towel.
Wow, I never knew Reflections Tire Care could be used in interior surfaces. How come this is possible while FX Tire Shine and Cal. Gold Tire Shine isn't recommended to be used in interior surfaces.

Is there a difference in looks etc?

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 05-26-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
Wow, I never knew Reflections Tire Care could be used in interior surfaces. How come this is possible while FX Tire Shine and Cal. Gold Tire Shine isn't recommended to be used in interior surfaces.

Is there a difference in looks etc?

Grabby
Tire Care has a look closer to Protectant, but gives a natural, rich appearance and dry to the touch. It was just a thought that it might work -- not necessarily a groundbreaking revelation worth drumming-up a 2-year-old thread.

A glossy tire shine type of product would not be appropriate on the dash or other interior pieces that cause glare or on contact surfaces.
Closed Thread