Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-09-2005

Default New At Leather

Okay you all probably know I detail cars well someone wants me to detail there car, and its a Acura with leather intereor and i need help i dont know the first thing about detailing leather PLEASE HELP ASAP
Old 11-09-2005
Administrator

Default Re: New At Leather

If it has been neglected, the best way to approach it would be a thorough (but gentle) vacuuming of all of the stiching, followed by a cleaning and a conditioning. If it's not too dirty, you could possibly get by with a one-step product.

Check the Detail Guide's Interior section for a "how to" on leather, and let us know if you have any questions. Though I would recommend applying cleaners and conditioners on an applicator and not directly on the leather, to prevent spotting.
Old 11-09-2005

Thanks A Lot I love the quick reply
Old 11-09-2005
Mothers® Polish

I use an upholstery brush on the end of the vacuum (long, soft bristles) and "pull" the seams apart with my fingers to allow the vacuum to clean all the gunk out of the stitching.

Then, if the leather has not been done in a while, I'd use a 2 step program - leather cleaner, followed by a leather conditioner. If the leather is perforated, apply the products to towels, not the leather. Personally, I use thick cotton diapers for the cleaner, and condition with microfiber, although a diaper would be just as good. (I own more mf than diaper, so the mf is more convenient, not necessarily better.)

If new, or in very good condition, you may be able to get by with an all-in-one cleaner/conditioner.
Old 11-13-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
I use an upholstery brush on the end of the vacuum (long, soft bristles) and "pull" the seams apart with my fingers to allow the vacuum to clean all the gunk out of the stitching.

Then, if the leather has not been done in a while, I'd use a 2 step program - leather cleaner, followed by a leather conditioner. If the leather is perforated, apply the products to towels, not the leather. Personally, I use thick cotton diapers for the cleaner, and condition with microfiber, although a diaper would be just as good. (I own more mf than diaper, so the mf is more convenient, not necessarily better.)

If new, or in very good condition, you may be able to get by with an all-in-one cleaner/conditioner.
i've often found that if you have access to a air compresser it will work wonders, espeacially when your trying to get small grit out of the stitching. Then I would use a mild cleaner to gently clean the seat and stitching , but make sure you follow up with an even coat of conditioner mothers or dare i say it meguairs.Then put a small emount into your hand and massage it into the seat, then gently buff off access(terry cloth works good) good luck it sounds like alot of work but it'll look good ..
Closed Thread