Thread: cancellations

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry cancellations

This morning I had an app`t with a guy to do his late 90s ragtop vette. I was really looking forward to this job, it`s really a nice car. I packed up the truck with all my supplies and as agreed, met him at his house this monring so he could follow me to my shop.

He comes to the door in his robe and says since it is supposed to rain off and on all weekend he wants to reschedule. We made the app`t over two weeks ago and the forecast has been rain pretty much for the last 3-4 days so he had plenty of time to call me. The fact that he chose not to even call but waited until I showed up really rubs me the wrong way. Very inconsiderate.

Oh well, I`m sure it won`t be the last time this happens. Just had to vent.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Boss_429
    Yep, you don`t need those kind of customers............ the ones that think they are doing YOU a favor!

Too bad for the guy, he missed out on a great detailing job, and my guess is, he`ll have to find somebody else to detail his vehicle the next time............. Jerk!

Post Thanks / Like
    Im wondering if you should have charge`d a minimum??
    Maybe a contract..??
    That would piss me off tooo...He would have to put on a special list of mine for that one.
    jeff

almost time to tailgate tacscar-tim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    when i used to have a sign on my truck, i had a guy chase me down and schedule a detail. we waited around the morning he was suppose to show up and he never shows. no call, nothing.

i was just thinking the other day that with my new shop this will probably be a problem. guess i`ll just have to deal with it.

You down with UPP?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two weeks ago I had 5 cars to do....every one of them rescheduled. I was pissed so I put a couple more layers of UPP on my Jeep and felt all better ...I know how frustrating it can be.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

help, I'm a rock
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beware the fury of a patient man."

-John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel, 1681

LOL...I love that!! I`m having it tattooed on my forehead!
    "Making the streets a cleaner place to see"

Post Thanks / Like

I can relate...

This week the weather forcast in NJ is horrid... Rain, Rain, Rain and some more Rain !!! I have some great work lined up for next week, however as a mobile detailer, I can only keep my fingers crossed and pray
    No buff to tuff

You down with UPP?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dirty South:p ...When I read it I thought of detailing; you know when you get those cars that just make you cringe but be patient and go to work and then when you see the result.....BOO YA!!!!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rainy weather is the best way to sell someone a detail!!! If they don`t want to do it, just let them know how after the rain, the spots and junk will just rinse right off and the paint will be protected in the rain if you do the job.
    I also offer a rain guarantee - If it rains the next day, I come back to fix up the car (QD, wash, whatever). I live in Los Angeles, so I don`t get screwed too often, maybe you rainy-area guys can`t offer that.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a sign at the shop entrance: "Ask about our Rainy Day Guarantee". Simply put, if it is raining when you pick the detailed car up, bring it back on the first nice day, and I`ll wash it, free.

Applies only to complete details, but that`s pretty much all I do.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natty, you should do more of your chapter members from FordTruckWorld.com. I have didi a bunch from Georgia. My FTW buds are always throwing cars my way. And of course, they used all my stuff and water and drink all my beer too........

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont have any customers to go off and cancel on me, so I dont have your problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestions: Courtesy calls the day before the appt. This helps remind the customer of there appt, and insures that you’re going to be working tomorrow.

When customers call and make an appt I say 3 things before I get off the phone with them after I take the appt.

1. If you could clean out all personal belongings, books maps magazines. So I can concentrate on cleaning the car oppose to moving things around.

2. The price is based on average condition we expect the cars to be dirty but not trashed.

3 We have a 24-hour cancellation policy. If you need to cancel please call us 24 hours before the appt or you will be charged $50. Be cause we do hold this time slot for you.

#3 is a little harsh but people take the appt a little more seriously and less likely to blow me off because of the consequences

When I do the courtesy call and they don`t answer I leave a message. I`d say 7 out of 10 times they call back, to confirm.
    If it’s raining, the policy doesn’t apply. That is something out of our hands. I understand that they’d want to cancel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think # 3 is harsh at all. i don`t do professional detailing, but I do make appointments with doctors, dentists, etc. They all have a cancellation policy, why would detailing be any different? You still make an appointment and the detailer counts on you being there. Some people just aren`t courteous. I think the confirmation call the day before is a good idea (again, dentists and doctors do this).

Just my $.02,
    Neil

Thread Information