Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-03-2005

Default window cleaning

What would you recommend as the best way to clean car windows without leaving streaks? I've tried newspaper as many have suggested, but I've found it's not really soft enough on the windows. I like using a microfiber cloth better with glass cleaner. The windows appear spotless after cleaning, but when the sun is shining you can see the circular motions from where the towel was applied with the glass cleaner. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2005
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: window cleaning

Ah, the dreaded window problem. A couple of hints to help:

1) Use an automotive glass cleaner, not a household glass product. The out-gassing from interior components needs a different type of product than the mirrors in your bathroom at home.

2) An old trick is to clean the interior glass in one direction, and exterior the other. That way, you can easily see if the problem is inside or outside. I do the interior up and down, and the exterior side to side.

My glass cleaning goes like this:

1) microfiber towel soaked in hot water to wipe the glass down
2) dry with another microfiber
3) automotive glass cleaner in the appropriate direction
4) dry with another clean microfiber. Note: make sure your microfiber doesn't become saturated with product, as it will leave streaks on the glass. If it takes 2 or 3 to clean the windows, so be it.

Every few months, I also prep the glass by using Chrome Polish - apply with a foam applicator, let dry and buff. Chrome Polish does a spectacular job at removing any film, smoke, etc., from the glass, and makes future cleaning a breeze. It also removes the oily road film that covers the windshield.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2005

Thanks Forrest, I'll try that out. Another quick question: With microfibers, I've found that after performing a job (cleaning leather, applying wax) and washing, that residue from the product used on that job is often left on the microfiber--if you can't feel it, you can certainly smell it--and that many times the bulk of dirt picked up from a job is not removed from the microfiber towel.

Can these towels be used for jobs other than the one that first picked up the product, or will that residue simply become a problem?

The same applies when using an instant detailer on your paint and using a microfiber. After awhile, the towel has enough of the spray on it that when you go to buff away you're simply putting more on than taking off.

I'm sure you're familiar with what I'm describing. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Old 10-03-2005
Mothers® Polish

I wash my microfibers in warm water with a liquid detergent, and give them a second rinse. I know others have had good luck adding white vinegar to their towel washing process.

Obviously, you should never wash them with cotton towels.

I dry on low heat in the dryer, without fabric softener.
Old 10-03-2005

Again, thanks for the advice. I think I may have used household glass cleaner on the windows, now that you mention it. Best retail glass cleaners? What do you recommend?

(Separate question: What have you heard about the product Lexol Vinylex for vinyl, plastic, and rubber?)
Old 10-03-2005
Administrator

On the microfiber subject... this is why it's good to have towels of different colors -- one for each type of product; or at least some designated for product that doesn't seem to ever wash out. One thing I try to do after washing is to lay them flat on a clean countertop and run my hand over them to inspect the surface for any debris that may not have washed out. Those things can pick up stuff like Velcro.

On the glass cleaning subject... there are some good streak-free glass cleaners that are also safe for window tint. (In fact, I think Mothers makes one.) A very light final buffing when finishing an area works good. You might find that a good soft cotton terry towel works very well on glass.
Old 10-03-2005

Mother's Glass cleaner is as good as any product on the market. It will remove dried on lovebugs, and if it can do that, it will handle anything. Plus, it is safe for tint and is not prone to streaking. Following Forrest's method with MGC will provide excellent results. The key is not to let your mf towel get saturated, which will cause streaks.
Old 10-05-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
Every few months, I also prep the glass by using Chrome Polish - apply with a foam applicator, let dry and buff. Chrome Polish does a spectacular job at removing any film, smoke, etc., from the glass, and makes future cleaning a breeze. It also removes the oily road film that covers the windshield.
Great tip Forrest!

Just a quick question or two... I noticed you said that the chrome polish will remove smoke. Therefore, I assume you use this process on interior windows? If so, wouldn't the chrome polish possibly have an adverse affect on factory tints?
Old 10-05-2005
Mothers® Polish

Factory tint is a film placed between sheets of glass, so you don't touch the tint when cleaning the insides of the windows.

This method is NOT safe for aftermarket tint film, since it's very soft and easily scratched, and is applied to the inside of the glass.
Old 10-11-2005

Would windshield washer fluid be considered a good auto glass cleaner for this problem?
Old 10-16-2005
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SITH 4x4
Would windshield washer fluid be considered a good auto glass cleaner for this problem?
SITH 4x4,

Which problem is that?
Closed Thread