Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-10-2005

Default couple of questions

1. what does plastic polish do?
2. can I use it on my dash board?
3. what is coated plastic? " mothers says you can use there interier protectant on non coated plastic"
4. best low gloss protectant for dash and door pannels?
thanks for the help?
Old 07-10-2005
Administrator

Default Re: couple of questions

Plastic Polish is ideal for lenses (including your gauge panel), plastic windows, plastic headlamp and taillamp lenses, etc. Generally-speaking, transluscent or clear plastics with a smooth "glass-like" surface.

There are some cases where solid-colored molded plastic trim pieces can benefit from Plastic Polish, but understand that if there's any texture to the plastic, Plastic Polish will make it smooth, so you have to not use it on some things.

Not sure how to answer #3.

That said, Protectant would be the ideal product for vinyl dashboards, interior trim and upholstery... if you buff it with a soft, plush cotton terry towel, you get a low-sheen look. On some surfaces it will dry non-sheen naturally.

You can also use Reflections Tire Care, which acts similarly but is a lower-sheen yet, and tends to give a darker, richer appearance.

Try a small amount in an inconspicous place and see if you like it.

The key to any product like these is buffing dry to reduce gloss and reflection on the windshield.
Old 07-10-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke5513
1. what does plastic polish do?
2. can I use it on my dash board?
3. what is coated plastic? " mothers says you can use there interier protectant on non coated plastic"
4. best low gloss protectant for dash and door pannels?
thanks for the help?
Luke

I use plastic polish all the time but only on the headlights, tailights and mirrors, the outside ones are plastic and the plastic over the gages, I wouldn't use it on the dashboard or trim.

I always use MicroFiber to buff it off.

Mothers Protectant is very good for the dash and trim, not to shiney and smells good.

It works better for me if I buff it after applying it.

The pros here may have a better answer but this is what works for me.

Attaching a photo of my headlight after Mothers Plastic polish and a microfiber buffing, it also makes it eaiser to clean off the bugs.

Hope this helps.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2005

Recently got hold of some Mothers Plastic Polish on my last trip to the US and I really like the stuff. It spreads and works in very easily and buffs of with little effort. Cleans well and leaves a slick finish. What really surprised me was how well it removed defects in clear plastic. I experimented on a clear plastic cover from an old turntable. This thing was scratched up very badly. I used Plastic polish and a MF app. Removed 90% of the defects except the very deep ones and it did this with only a couple of applications. Great stuff. Wish it came in a bigger bottle than 8 Oz and was easier to find in Canada.
Old 07-14-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke5513
I'm not sure if this is the answer, but it reminds me of some plastic items that seem to have a 'cling-wrap' type coating over the solid plastic pieces...perhaps to give it extra glossy finish?

As they wear the 'cling-wrap' breaks and peels off in little pieces.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 07-17-2005

When I think of coated plastic the plastic trim with chrome surface comes to mind as opposed to colored interior vinyl with is made in that color and not just covered with a surface application.
Old 07-17-2005
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS
When I think of coated plastic the plastic trim with chrome surface comes to mind
Some of the plastic films/coatings used inside of cars today are not very durable, and you should avoid polishing them. Chrome film, as well as the clearcoat on simulated wood come to mind. You can clean them with a good all-purpose cleaner, but anything more aggressive is not a good idea.

Last edited by Ken H.; 07-17-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2005

Simulated chrome and other metals, carbon fiber, accent color, wood, clear, and so on -- there is more and more of this laminated material.

I've got navy blue plastic in my interior and some of the hard plastic is molded out of navy blue, yet some of it's a navy blue coating over black.

Automakers do all sorts of wierd things.
Closed Thread