Post Thanks / Like

Can I top off UPP?

Wanted to know if i could or should I top off my upp. I have put three coats of upp on and want a little more shine. I know with a silver car its hard too get the wet look. i was told I could get a little more pop form a Carnuba moose wax or PB Natty`s?

I am also going to prep better next time with some SSR2 first.:huh
    From the Bay to Sin City

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I top mine with P21S/S100. I find that it gives it a little bit better of an appearance, but not a whole lot. You can`t really improve much on 3 or 4 coats of UPP. That`s on white, though. On a darker color you could probably really see a difference.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of new to this so all the abriveations I do not know. What is P21S/S100?
    From the Bay to Sin City

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those actually aren`t abreviations. That`s the name of the wax. lol P21S is a brand that you buy online and S100 is available at most Harley Davidson shops. S100 is cheaper and there has been very little evidence in any consumer test that can seperate the difference between the two. For all intents and purposes they might as well be the same wax. They are very high quality and I hard to equal on any level. From Turtle Wax to Zymol you will find that P21S and S100 can compete with the best of them.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to go along with Jngrbrdman, you can top with a carnuba wax fro a bit more shine. I did a silver corvette with Wolfgangs sealant and the shine once topped with paste wax was great. Customer tolf me that was the best that he had ever seen his car!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I topped UPP with a minimum of 17 more coats of UPP.:crazy :rolling :dancin :drool
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great topper for UPP is trade secret - it`s a little expensive but awesome!
    You have activated my special ability....

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I top off UPP?

Originally posted by iwood3000
    Wanted to know if i could or should I top off my upp. I have put three coats of upp on and want a little more shine. I know with a silver car its hard too get the wet look. i was told I could get a little more pop form a Carnuba moose wax or PB Natty`s?

I am also going to prep better next time with some SSR2 first.:huh
    Keep in mind that if you top the UPP with the waxes mentioned, you will need to remove them with a paint cleaner before you can apply more UPP.

UPP topped with S100 was my lone experiment with topping UPP with anything. My personal opinion was that I would rather be able to add more UPP anytime I wanted to. IMO, The improvement in appearance of a dark blue minivan was not that great.

A swirl remover, Klasse AIO and UPP makes for a killer combination. Add another coat of UPP monthly and you should be pretty impressed with the appearance of your vehicle.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    if you want more shine,
    The next time you do your car, polish it first with Poorboys SSR1 using a PC set on maximum speed, then 3 coats of UPP and you will be amazed at the difference in shine and reflectivity.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On silver (especially a metallic silver) I would leave UPP to itself. AIO followed by UPP is a killer combo that you`ll be hard pressed to beat on that color. I`ve topped it with P21s (s100) and IMO, not worth the time. Plus then if you want to add more UPP you have to start over by stripping the carnauba.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want it to be even clearer skip the AIO. The AIO adds a warmth to the paint but seems to actually take away from the reflectiveness, especially after using SSR1. I keep thinking I am going to top UPP but after 2 or 3 coats the look is so awesome, I am afraid of messing it up.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    THANKS!
    From the Bay to Sin City

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another potential downside to topping UPP with a carnauba is dust attraction. It has been my experience that UPP attracts little to no dust and what does manage to get onto the surface almost always comes off with a short drive. Carnauba waxes typically will and hold onto that dust/pollen a bit more....some canaubas a lot more.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Thread Information