Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Federal rule bans resid. washing

I just read an article that says the federal government has banned washing cars at residences. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.carwash.com/news.asp?mode=4&N_ID=48664
    I`ve been busy but I`ll try to make some time.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lest anyone think this isn`t anything to worry about, remember what we thought about automobile pollution contols, OSHA, heck even income tax was just a temporary thing.
    Note that it covers basement water (sump pumps), and rain gutters as well. We can`t even complain that they are pickng on just the car washing.
    I do think the fact that it can be redirected to lawns will help. I`m sure there will be several types of dams available in short order.

Keep in mind that this has been a problem for Professional Mobile Detailers for some time. I think they even have to recapture the water and can`t even redirect it to a grassy area.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    They can kiss my a$$. They`ll have to arrest me before I stop washing my car. Who really gives a sh*t where the water that goes in the sewer comes from?
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheSopranos16
    They can kiss my a$$. They`ll have to arrest me before I stop washing my car. Who really gives a sh*t where the water that goes in the sewer comes from?
    While your feeling is quite natural, keep in mind that they very possibly may arrest you and fine you. This isn`t a local stute that you have any control of.
    Plus, we all care where the water that goes in the storm sewers comes from. Unlike the sanitary sewer system, the storm sewer may very well go directly into a stream or river.
    Hey, stay cool. There will no doubt be some ways to either work with the regulation or work around the regulation.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like we all ought to stock up on QEW in 55 gallon drums and ( for those with garages) wash inside/in the dead of the night Come on now, what`s next ? Not being able to wash your floors and showers in your house?? Where does it end?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D
    Come on now, what`s next ? Not being able to wash your floors and showers in your house?? Where does it end?
    Like all of you, I`m not at all happy about this happening, but keep in mind this applies to storm sewer runoff, not sanitary sewer.
    If you have a way to drain your wash water into the sanitary sewer where the sewage plant will treat it, no problem. It is unlikely that anything in your house drains into a storm sewer so it shouldn`t change your shower, laundry, or dishwashing routine.
    It will no doubt be a real PIA, but I still think some type of a dam arrangement to divert the runoff into the grassy areas can be made to work.
    As I said earlier, Pro Mobile guys have been having to work with some type of reclaim system for quite a while.
    I really don`t think the regulation is new, I think they have decided to enforce it.

Charles
    Last edited by CharlesW; 06-30-2004 at 06:48 PM.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D
    Sounds like we all ought to stock up on QEW in 55 gallon drums
    QEW and Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe could be a very good alternative for many bucket washes. I actually bucket wash about 1/2 as often as I used to. Still clean the vehicles whenever they are dirty, but it is quite often with S&W rather than the bucket and hose.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

This is happening in my back yard . I`m a few towns over. This is going to be a hard law to enforce, hell they can`t even enforce the laws already on the books. This should get interesting

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rollman
    This is happening in my back yard . I`m a few towns over. This is going to be a hard law to enforce, hell they can`t even enforce the laws already on the books. This should get interesting
    One thing that concerns me about the enforcement is the possibility of this becoming a revenue generator for some areas.
    Due to a shortage of operating funds, several smaller cities in our area have take to putting up speed traps, (IMO), on major interstate highways, 80 and 35 for instance. This seems to me to be nothing but a way to supplement those ailing budgets.
    They might see this wash water thing as another way to get some money out of people.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm..yeah S&W as well, and I could legally get rid of the QEW waste in the sanitary sewer

Feeling a little relieved now
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

--
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that something like this would be really hard to enforce... and if it was, there would be a lot of cheap ways for us to get around it. QEW and S&W are two of them. You could even make your own water reclaim kits. There have been a few posts on here about that.

I will agree that something like this really sounds bad to us but there will still be legal ways around it... so as long as we dont have to go to the car wash, I wouldnt worry. lol

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I better start stocking up on more Spray and Wipe
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I will bit on this one. That would be darn hard to enforce. SSEA (storm sewer enforcement agency) would have to be on every corner. Ok water runoff from roofs--what if gutters drain to hard surface? Relocate them, what about a small commercial building with black top all the way around? Ok how about this situation, what if their are no storm sewers on the street. Not all streets are improved. Is it ok to let the water run to the street, then evaporate it to the air and fall back on mother earth by rain? More money pissed away on poor legislation. I can understand trying to control run off, but we need look for bigger sources of run off. The volume of people that wash there cars as versus using a car wash is small (my opionion). Adding clean water to a lake doesn`t hurt. Adding oil and other contaiments is where the problem lies. If they want to do anything then filter the water before it hits the lakes and streams. Would that be expensive--YES. You can`t control what runs off from the streets, if oil and tar are on the street it will end up in the storm sewer. The guy washing the vehicle down the street will not polute the lakes more then what is already on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

In honor of Charlton Heston ...

They will have to take my pressure washer wand from my cold stiff fingers !!!!
    No buff to tuff

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt about the pollutants from the streets themselves being a lot worse than anything that I wash off my vehicles.
    Look at some of the oil and transmission fluid leakers that leave the big puddles whereever they park. It not only will wash off from those parking areas, that same leaker is leaving a trail of it everywhere it goes. How about the blacktop patch and sealers that the road crews use. That stuff is pretty nasty looking as well.
    But...., the regulation is obviously aimed at the resicential car washers. Is this sponsored by the commercial car wash associations to stop people from washing their cars at home?:dunno

Clean Dean, they don`t want your pressure washer wand from your cold stiff fingers, they want that money from your wallet.

Charles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information