Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UPP vs EX vs EX-P vs WG

Ok, I`m looking to try a new protectant for the summer but I`m not sure which one to spend my money on. I`m still pretty new to Detail city and since Ive been reading the forum, Ive been introduced to a lot of products that I hadn`t considered in the past. So now i`m stuck between 4 products as to which one to buy for my car. My main concerns in order are...

1) Quality of Shine (btw, my car is black)
    2) Maintainability (as in how easy is it to wash it clean and how well does the accompanying quick detail spray restore gloss and slickness)
    3) Ease of Use (Application and Removal)
    4) Durability (I wax at least monthly so this isn`t a big concern)
    5) Cost (I really couldn`t care less how much it costs)

The products I am considering are

1) Wolfgang
    2) Poorboys EX
    3) Poorboys EX-P
    4) Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection

I know a lot of you out there are very experienced in detailing and i`m sure many of you have tried most of or all of those products. So which one would you say is the best and would meet my needs? Maybe some of you guys can rank those products in order as to which one you think is best. Thanks in advance for any input or feedback.

-Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Try them all...one per panel

"oops sorry mom"...caught sniffing carnuba again.

My name is Joel and im a detailoholic.
    01 Supercharged Nissan Frontier

Post Thanks / Like
    4* UPP is my favorite sealant so far. it leaves my black car very shiny, and it holds up very well to contamination. i have to park outside and occasionally it gets hit with sprinkler water and bakes in the sun. After a good wash and qd it feels as slick as it did the day i applied it. may i also say version 3 (the latest version which is being sold) is very easy to apply and remove.

WG gives a nice warm carnuaba glow, but i had problems with durability.
    Justin
    Now Driving: 1998 Black 4Runner
    Have a nice day

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will all look great on your black paint. They will all look just a little different as well. If you are applying with a PC then my vote is Wolfgang. If you are applying by hand my vote is for the EX-P.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wolfgang is one that I did nto like at first but have changed my mind. These guys have a great product after the sealant has cured 24 hours you can top with paste wax for a super shine, almost wet looking
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a dark color then my favorite is WG TOPPED with EX. It truely is a deep shine, maybe it is only me but the effect is . As beemerboy said, a wet look is my preference and I would usually top with a carnauba but for now I am not because it looks really wet now!!

On a light car I would use EX-P.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the WG combo on a silver car then topped with 100% carnuba paste wax for a wet looking shine, really quite deep
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Beemerboy
    I`ve used the WG combo on a silver car then topped with 100% carnuba paste wax for a wet looking shine, really quite deep
    Have you tried topping the WG with EX-P? I hear it is real wet and deep? I was thinking of trying it myself on my next overhall of the silver car.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Does WG not look good on its own? Everyone on this forum seems to top it with something else. I personally don`t like the idea of having to put something else on top to get optimal results. Why not just put more layers of whatever you want on top instead of first putting WG? Just seems like it can`t possibly make a difference that is worth the time.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheSopranos16
    Does WG not look good on its own? Everyone on this forum seems to top it with something else. I personally don`t like the idea of having to put something else on top to get optimal results. Why not just put more layers of whatever you want on top instead of first putting WG? Just seems like it can`t possibly make a difference that is worth the time.
    You will get lots of different opinions on this subject.
    Don`t know about WG, since I have never used it, but IMO, UPP on a very dark blue, (looks black in the right light), doesn`t need any topper. Use a good paint cleaner such as Ultimate Paint Cleanser or Klasse AIO for a prep. I happen to use AIO. Apply a very thin coat of UPP, wait 30 minutes to an hour before removing and see what you think. I have used S100 Carnauba Paste as a topper and really didn`t think it was worth the effort. A second coat of UPP after 24 hours of cure time seems to give me the look I am happy with.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    You will get lots of different opinions on this subject.
    Don`t know about WG, since I have never used it, but IMO, UPP on a very dark blue, (looks black in the right light), doesn`t need any topper. Use a good paint cleaner such as Ultimate Paint Cleanser or Klasse AIO for a prep. I happen to use AIO. Apply a very thin coat of UPP, wait 30 minutes to an hour before removing and see what you think. I have used S100 Carnauba Paste as a topper and really didn`t think it was worth the effort. A second coat of UPP after 24 hours of cure time seems to give me the look I am happy with.

Charles
    I couldnt agree more....Plus if you top it with a carnuba then you cant add any more UPP to it. Just doesnt seem to equal out in the end for very little change in my eye`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with the combo of Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba topped by EX or Clearkote Vanilla Moose topped by EX-P. Both would look great on black.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow everyone has a different opinion. Maybe I should have put a poll or something on this page to vote for each choice...
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wolfgang looks great by itself. Don`t misunderstand us. You just have to remember most of the people on this board (including myself) are crazy about making our vehicles look 2% better with multiple coats of something!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by membim
    Wolfgang looks great by itself. Don`t misunderstand us. You just have to remember most of the people on this board (including myself) are crazy about making our vehicles look 2% better with multiple coats of something!

Guilty as charged!!:-p
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information