Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pads keep coming off PC

Ok....

I just did a detail on a 4-Door accord and something really strange kept happening. Toward the end of the detail, my pads kept coming off my PC. I call myself centering them well on the Meguiars backing plate, but I`d find that they were moving around while I was using them.

Tonite (next day) I started looking at the backing plate and pads...

There`s VERY little resistance to me pulling the pads off the backing plate. I remember playing around with the backing plate and pads before detailing the Accord, and the pads were really stuck to the plate when I put them on. WTF?? What`s going on with my stuff? Are these pieces WORN OUT after only one detail?

I`d noticed in the middle of the detail that the pads started kinda "walking around" on me. This is strange.....is there something I did that messed up my backing plate?

I tried it with some brand new pads, and there is a LITTLE more resistance to pulling them off the backing plate, but it`s still WAY too easy to pull the pads off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it a Meguiar`s backing plate? I had the same experience. That thing sucks. The little hooks break off after extended use. Get a backing plate from Lake Country or Coastal Tools and you`ll not have a problem again. I have an LC backing plate, and it grips so strong that it threatens to tear the pad apart when I try to remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, some company`s do not make as nice a product as you would think, try finding a different type of backing plate. Meguairs makes OK polishes and stuff, but I would not trust there plates. I get mine from carproductsinc.com , no idea who makes them but they last forever, or until some kid at work hangs the buffer up by it.......
    Dealership employee, I HATE SALESMAN!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys....

I ordered this haul from Premium Auto Care....
    Dwayne owes me some stuff from my last order. Will the Edge backing plates that they sell at PAC work with the Meguiars pads? I assume they will. The Edge plates use a hook & loop design. Are they very durable? Has anyone tried them?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, i have "the edge" backing plate and the pads, and i have to say that i havent gotten any problems with them. the only thing is, its pretty hard to pull those suckers off! however, i think its gonna solve your problem. after using the PC for about 3 hours, the pads didnt move once, but my PC got really hot.
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    Call whoever you bought the backing plate from.
    I purchased mine from Meguiars and had the same problem ... they replaced it for FREE including shipping.
    Some of my older pads are now not sticking as well ...
    I will try a new pad and if it still doesn`t stick ... I will call Meguiars again.
    I have found that If you have problems with a product, the first and best step is to call the place where you bought it from.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend who had this problem. He called Meguiar`s and they replaced the backing plate and the pads. I`ve had the same problem with pads if I get the backing wet. The problem I`m having right now is quite the opposite. I`ve got a pad that sticks to the backing plate so well that I fear that in my effort to remove it I will either tear the back of the pad off or the backing plate. It is stuck like glue.

I keep the back of my pads dry and I don`t have the problem. I don`t have a Meguiar`s backing plate, but the problem happens with other plates as well. Call Meguiar`s and they can solve the problem. PAC isn`t really responsible for the craftsmanship of Meguiar`s products. They are awesome to stand behind something they didn`t manufacture. Meguiar`s is the one with real liability here however. If the backing plate killed someone then PAC would probably not be so helpful.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the megs backing plate from Dwyane and have never had an issue with the pads sticking - they stick like glue and still give me that (shrrrriiiiiippp) sound when I pulle them off ?? weird
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Called Dwayne, and he`s going to hook me up with an Edge backing plate.

Thanks for the info, guys. Dwayne was a lot of help. He`d read this thread before I got the chance to call him.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fallen victim to the Meg`s 6` backing plate!!!:ticked

It got me through one EX-P layer on a Navigator and halfway through a serious treatment of SSR2 on a Mercury Sable. What a piece of crap. Pads will stick for about 30 seconds before they come flying off. The surface of the plate even feels smooth. I made my purchase from a site other than PAC (which I have now learned my lesson to never do again) who does not carry any other brand of backing plate. So I`m stuck with a replacement that they are sending to me. A replacement piece of crap.:boohoo

Just a warning. The megs pad is fine as long as you don`t use your PC on a higher setting than 4. If you plan on doing some swirl removal where you will be operating your PC on a higher speed, don`t use the Megs backing plate!

Thread Information