I`d dreaded removing window tint film from my `95 Honda passport for months. It was showing it`s age by coming loose in assorted places and leaving unsightly spots. I reserched a bit and the methods I found seemed to be quite a bit of trouble. So I was just finishing up a wash job the other day when a wild hair struck and I slipped the edge of my pocket knife under a corner of the rear window tint film. My intention was to test the waters and see how difficult it would be to peel the film away. Once I saw how easily it peeled, I just couldn`t stop! I got most of it off in one large piece, and the glass underneath looked pretty good. "What`s the big deal?" I thought. Then I touched the surface of the glass and was horrified in discovering the only thing I`d peeled away was the plastic layer of the film. All the adhesive was still on the window!
Believing I`d screwed up royaly, I looked for some type of solvent or something that would cut the sticky crap on my rear window. The first thing I tried was the "Goof Off" liquid that I use to remove tar and such from vehicles. Voila! The Goof Off melted the adhesive easily. I then took my razor blade window scraper and started scraping the softened adhesive. It worked like a champ! It only took a few minutes to do the entire window. I then used a bit of citrus cleaner on the window to clean off the Goof Off and softened adhesive remnants. This was followed by cleaning with my denatured alcohol/water mixture. I finished up with Stoner Invisible Glass and newspaper. The glass looks as good as new!
One word of warning, though. Be careful with that razor scraper around the rear-window defogger heating elements. If you cut through one, (not hard to do,) it`s hell to repair. I was lucky/careful and kept mine intact.
If anyone out there gives this a shot, get back with me and let me know how it works out.
Good luck!