Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried Meg #9 to remove

swirls/scratches. It did not do anything. I am assuming I must go with a more abrasive product. I applied with a terry towel. Would the PC do the trick or should I go with the SSR1? Where does the poorboy products fall in line with meguiars cleaners/swirl removers?

Brian

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just tried Meg #9 to remove

Originally posted by runnerbl
    swirls/scratches. It did not do anything. I am assuming I must go with a more abrasive product. I applied with a terry towel. Would the PC do the trick or should I go with the SSR1? Where does the poorboy products fall in line with meguiars cleaners/swirl removers?

Brian
    Meg`s #9 with a PC and a polishing pad has worked good for me.
    Since I was using #9 long before I bought the PC, I can empathize with your frustration. #9 can be used by hand, but it is really a lot of work. If you can afford it, the PC would be a worthwhile investment. If your finances don`t leave room for the PC right now, Poorboy`s SSR line has had some good references for hand use. Any product you use by hand is going to take quite a bit of effort. The PC makes it easy.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    My PC should be here on the 12th and Ranney should have PB by then. How hard to I rub by hand? I could not tell any difference. Wasted $11 I guess. Guy at parts store told me the #9 was more of a filler. I don`t know how bad to classify my scratches. I can`t fill them with a fingernail so I assume they aren`t through clearcoat. Just surface scrathes. I also arder LC pads, white, yellow, black. Which should I go with first.? SSR1 with white, then yellow if that doesn`t do it? or SSR1 with white and if that doesn`t work go to SSR2 with white?

Thanks

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I also arder LC pads, white, yellow, black. Which should I go with first.? SSR1 with white, then yellow if that doesn`t do it? or SSR1 with white and if that doesn`t work go to SSR2 with white?
    I would try SSR1 with white first and move to SSR2 with white if you need something more powerful. The next step up would be SSR2 with yellow.

Meg`s #9 is in between SSR1 and SSR2 in terms of aggressiveness, but seems to be less effective by hand than the SSRs. The PC should significantly improve your chances of removing swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are these? These aren`t the scratches I am talking about though. The ones I refer to in my post above are from washing with sponge, drying, etc. Will the scratches in this picture come out with swirl remover products?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    What are these? These aren`t the scratches I am talking about though. The ones I refer to in my post above are from washing with sponge, drying, etc. Will the scratches in this picture come out with swirl remover products?
    Those marks look like "spider webbing", though many people will refer to those as "swirls". They are commonly caused by improper washing or drying technique, though polishing using circular motions can also contribute to this type of marring. Yes, the swirl remover products mentioned above are the correct products to use for this situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im receiving a shipment of Meg`s Medallion Paint cleaner and NXT tech wax tomorrow, i was researching the best methods for spiderwebing/scratch/swirl removal and came across these two products.

Meg`s tech support claim that using it by hand will still yield impressive results, but judging from the feedback ive been reading on these forums, a PC will do a more efficient job with higher quality results.

PC 7424 here i come.
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    BaDm0theR Im receiving a shipment of Meg`s Medallion Paint cleaner and NXT tech wax tomorrow, i was researching the best methods for spiderwebing/scratch/swirl removal and came across these two products.
    That fender in the picture has NXT on it topped with S100.

Post Thanks / Like
    runnerbl: I`d assume that the spiderwebbings are deeper, or harder to reach than the NXT or S100 can reach. I don`t beleive that those two products are specifically designed for the removal of the webbing markings, or atleast are very difficult to do by hand as compared with a PC and a complimentary pad (and hand work will only do so much in the removal of swirls/scratches).
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BaDm0theR
    Im receiving a shipment of Meg`s Medallion Paint cleaner and NXT tech wax tomorrow, i was researching the best methods for spiderwebing/scratch/swirl removal and came across these two products.

PC 7424 here i come.

I`ve only used MMPC once, and it was my first try with a PC, but I`m already looking for something to replace it.

I applied MMPC with a Meg`s yellow polishing pad with a PC set to 5. After applying it, removing it, and following with NXT I got a very good deep wet shine on my paint. However the MMPC appeared to have no net effect on the swirls on my hood.

Someone has told me that MMPC is a non-abrasive paint cleaner. I assume that it is on a par with AIO. As such, I guess you probably can`t expect that it will do a good job on spiderwebs and swirls.

The other thing about MMPC was that it had a tendency to stain trim ... and ... it was really not easy to wipe off the car. NXT was much much easier to take off, by comparison.

I`m looking forward to trying AIO as a replacement for MMPC.
    :bye

Boss_429

Re: Just tried Meg #9 to remove

Brian
    Brian,

Well if the spider webs in that picture are after using #9, and NXT, I would skip the SSR1................ and go to at least to SSR2, or Meguiar`s DACP, and be done with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

First thing I thought when I saw the pic. I would go for the SSR2, if that doesn`t work break out the #83 DACP.

I don`t think #9 will come close to touching that kind of marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    If SSR2 or DACP takes care of them, I need to go with SSR1 from there, correct? Need to step it down to a less abrasive?

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    WAZ UP DC If you have a pc i use Gliptone ploy gloss then your wax i use a lot of gliptone prod.there easy to work with and i feel they look 4X better then meg. how do i post pics???/

Post Thanks / Like
    If SSR2 or DACP takes care of them, I need to go with SSR1 from there, correct? Need to step it down to a less abrasive?

Brian
    Yes, it`s best to step down to a less abrasive polish after using SSR2 or DACP. SSR1 is one possibility. You could also substitute something like Pro Polish or Polish with Carnauba.

I use MPPC and AIO as well, but not for swirl removal purposes. I mainly use them as oxidation and surface contamination remedies. Pro Polish is the Poorboy`s product that is most similar to MPPC, though PP is a bit more adept at handling swirl marks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information