Post Thanks / Like

Removing Seats???

I`ve been detailing for some time now and wondered if the others here on your average detail remove the seats.

I just read a thread where that was apart of the inside detail. Most al the cars that I so are newer and electric seats. I`ve never felt that I had to remove the seats in order to get the car really clean. I have on some older model cars that had years of dirt under the seats but not in some time.

Question: Are you removing the seats and how is this impacting the over all time of the detail.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are familiar with the car, I wouldn`t remove them. You are better off getting specific crevice tools for you vac. The only time I`d remove a seat is if there was a spill (I dumped a full shake in my car once to have it run under the seat) and was being compensated for it.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott I agree it seems a bit over the top with all the good tools that i have that can get at the tight areas. Another thing that comes to mind is, if its buried under the seat that far and is not smelling chances are its not going to be an issue with the customer. I had a customer that had a pen leak under his drivers side seat. The rugs where lilgth gray. I could not get the pen out but lighten it up so much that it was hard to see. It was under the seat so he was real good with it.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I remove seats [if applicable] NEVER had a problem so for

Post Thanks / Like
    The only seats that I remove are the easy `row` seats on mini vans and SUVs - makes cleaning the carpets much easier.

I used to remove all backseats and vacuum up all those old french fries, sticky dimes, m&ms, etc. that kids seem to drop back there; However, I had a bad experience with getting the clips to line up just right with a Cavalier once. Took me over an hour to get it just right. So I no longer remove them - just use crevice tools and do the best that I can.

As far as the front seats, most that I do are electric. The ones that aren`t are on tracks, and can be rather `tricky`. It seems to be too much of a liability issue to me...... One of my worst fears is a customer calling me and complaining about engine problems after I`ve degreased it - I don`t want to add to my fears by worrying about them calling me and telling me some horror story about how they had to stop suddenly and their seat came loose causing them to propel into their steering wheel or windshield...

Onthespot
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Post Thanks / Like
    Spot

That is my thought to there are enough things that you have to worry about. The new car with there electric everything seats could be a nightmare to take out and put back in. The mini vans and SUV`s are easy just heavy

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d only do it if it were my own vehicle; and have done that once and it was not time well spent, especially if you can`t see it. I`d agree with just stick with crevice tools for your cleaning.
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price.

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm..... I look at it like this unless i knew what i was doing as far as taking a seat out i would leave well enough alone vacume under the best i could:dunno
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Remove the seat? Try a whole interior! I had an Explorer where the owners were complete scum bags and had a huge stanky dog that covered the interior with hair, the back seat alone looked like it was made out of a dog hide. I pulled the entire interior short of the dash, and even took the seat covers off all the seats. After soaking/power washing everything, it took 3 days to dry, so keep that in mind if you plan on doing this. In the end, all the smell/hair was gone and it looked just like new. Total tear down/reassemble time was 2 hours plus cleaning, I had about 5-6 hours total. Keep in mind I do mechanical work on cars all the time and I`ve torn apart both my Explorers interiors putting in stereos, so I knew exactly what I was doing. If you`re not comfortable working on cars mechanically, do not try to take things out of the interior.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve removed seats. This past summer a mustang was taken apart for cleaning the carpets. There were candy and french fries grease under there. It wasn`t difficult because only one seat was wired for power.

The only reason I would not do this all the time is the fact that the seats are torqued to spec from the factory. They are attached to the metal floor of a car which tends to give under breaking. if not spec`d, seats might rip out. Especially if put back too tight.

Thread Information