Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

More charging questions

I did not want to hijack the other thread, so here we go.

I find myself always wondering about my "Premium detail". Im not sure where I should end the work. Im afriad that if I dont do EVERYTHING that I could, that im not doing enough. Does anyone have some things that they exclude from their highest full detail work? Perhaps a Concours detail or something, so that you know when you do or do not need to do everything?

Dan
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a problem stopping, period. I keep having to tell myself that this is only a $50.00 job not $150.00. I have everything written out on paper what I plan to do for each level of detailing. My list includes little extras the customer does not know about yet. I do my best to stick to the list and not go overboard. I feel that if I do the list, I am giving the customer more than they planned on and I am not short changing myself.
    I guess what I am saying is make a list that you are comfortable with and stick to it.

* Sometimes, if a detail is going smoother than planned, I will go beyond the list. SSHHHHH do`t tell my accountant.
    I treat them all like they are my very own.

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having it written down helps big time. Then you know when you can stop. Its easy to get caught up in the "I`ll just finish this one area before I stop" mode. Pretty soon you are doing that $150 detail for $50 like ardetailing said. Just have it written down what they paid for and then check it off as you complete it. Then you can show them that you did exactly what they paid for and if they want it done better the next time then they can mark more areas for you to work on. You get what you pay for unless you go to a detailer who doesn`t know when to quit. :p

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Luckily all of my details have been the highest I offer. I am curious if I should add something higher though, I just dont know how to setup my different details. I can make my own pricing, I just cant figure out what packages to offer.

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I do, I hope this helps:
    There is obviously a list you could write that includes everything that could be done. When I inspect the car, I first ask if the client what they think they might want out of this detail. I can often get an idea of where they are looking the most. Then I tell the client what I think they need and what they could do without. Then we agree on a plan from there. Every car is different, so every detail I do is different. It sounds confusing, but with the more you do, the better you can estimate.
    Here`s a way for me to make it easy: The rule of thumb for me is a regular sedan is $150. If they want the engine done - add $25 for a basic clean/dress, more for perfection, but most don`t want that. If the wheels are trashed then I can add $10 or so for extra cleaning. Perhaps $20 extra for super dirty carpets. Get where I am coming from?
    My clients like this because they feel I am charging what should be charged and they aren`t paying for services there car doesn`t need. It seems honest to them and I get a good response.
    By the way, in some cases, clients don`t care and don`t want to even talk about things like that, so I do what I think it needs and charge accordingly.
    Sorry so long.............................................. .......
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my clients think that they are communicating with me in my own lingo when they say they want their car "polished and buffed". That doesnt tell me anything, if I ask them more complicated questions, they get confused (not good).

But at the same time, I dont want some person to come back and get slapped with some ungodly charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my web site for my prices I charge, I also give every customer a certificate of completion which shows item for item what was done. I think records on detailing are just as important as engine records. it shows you ALL work history, plus if you sell the car, showing detail records will impress the potential buyer. (he might even keep bringing the car back to you? make sure your company nane is on it)
    turbomangt
    www.perfectautofinish.com

Thread Information