Post Thanks / Like

Dumb Newb Question

Hi, im new to detailcity. Had a few stupid questions. After doing a little reading here, i have come to the understanding that the Porter Calble polisher is "THE" polisher to get. My question is what makes this polisher better, or work better then a inexpensive craftsman polisher? If it does the job i have no problem paying the $125 for the PC, but i would like to know what the differences are. Thanks guys.

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello ........ welcome to DC if im understanding ur ? correctly da PC is a high speed polisher verses i got just a craftsman orbital buffer my understanding is if u use a high speed poliser u got to be careful cause if u dont have the exprierence in useing a high speeder u can do some aweful damange to a paint job ......... Hope this might answer your ?
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the PC because of the variable speeds. This gives you better control of polishing and removing swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I`ve been to Zebulon! How often do you hear that? I might even have a relative or two living there ...

I don`t think the PC falls into the high speed rotary, burn-my-paint-if-I-make-a-mistake, category. At least not the machine normally referenced here. It`s still a dual action or random orbital along the lines of the Craftsman. But it`s supposed to be fast enough and powerful enough to be useful in removing light scratches and the like while being safer and more forgiving than the rotaries. It`s smaller than the big buffers so it`s able to access more places. That said, I`m a newbie to this game parroting what I`ve read so if you get conflicting information from someone who seems to know, listen to them!
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by clean4u
    Hello ........ welcome to DC if im understanding ur ? correctly da PC is a high speed polisher verses i got just a craftsman orbital buffer my understanding is if u use a high speed poliser u got to be careful cause if u dont have the exprierence in useing a high speeder u can do some aweful damange to a paint job ......... Hope this might answer your ?
    Actually the term PC as used here usually refers to the Porter Cable random orbital polisher.
    It is not at all difficult to use and you are very unlikely to damage your paint with it.
    When you say "high speed polisher" you are probably referring to the true rotary polishers that are best left to the experienced users.
    The big differences between the Sears type of RO and the PC RO is power and adjustable speeds. The PC has enough power to correct many paint problems that the cheaper units don`t do much good on.
    IMO, it is not a neccesity for taking good care of your paint, but it is a very useful tool to have.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses! Another question... Would you feel that the PC is necessary for removing swirl marks? It could this be done by hand?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Calmdwn
    Thanks for all the responses! Another question... Would you feel that the PC is necessary for removing swirl marks? It could this be done by hand?
    Personal opinion only.
    Necessary? No.
    Lots of people do it by hand.

Beneficial? Definitely.
    For me, it reduces a killer job taking several hours to an easy 30 minutes or less. On top of that, I get better results.

Several people have commented on Poorboy`s SSR line being hand application friendly. Haven`t used it so I can`t say. If it is hand application friendly it should be even better with the PC.

Charles

Thread Information