Thread: Claying

Post Thanks / Like

Question Claying

Hey felloe detailers! Thanks for all the great advice.

When claying a vehicle is it better to wash and dry before claying,or after you wash just leave the exterior wet to help clay?

Is claying, AIO and UPP a good combo for a detail? What type of finish should i expect? Does this combo work good on white vehicles?

Hope its not to many questions.

Thanks in advance for your help

Erik

South Atlanta Details AtlantaBoy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can leave it wet, and lubricate it with some Meg`s QD. The Klasse is a great one step, but I have never used the UPP. I am Meg`s, Malco, 3M kinda guy..............

Boss_429
    Erik,

I like to wash, and dry so I don`t get any water spots. Then, I like to get a bucket of clean fresh suds, and use my wash mitt to apply some suds to the area I want to clay............. then clay, and rise with hose. Of course, doing a small area at a time with QD and clay will work fine too. I just feel that the suds lube the surface better, and I get the claying done a lot faster.

Claying, AIO, and UPP is a nice plan for a detail, and would look great on white. The synthetics like UPP, Zaino, Klasse, and others seem to work really nice on white, and other light colored vehicles.

Good luck, and have fun!

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like to do just like Boss does for claying. The problem with not drying off the car is that water spots can develop especially on the windows. The soapy water is a nice lube and WAY cheaper than buying detailer spray for every clay job.

I have tried the AIO with a coat of UPP. It looked great but I dont think its the ultimate system. I dont see a noticable improvement by putting the AIO on first compared to using the Platinum paint cleaner instead. I kind of prefer the paint cleaner instead of the AIO for the UPP job. I guess its a matter of preference.

One thing I do notice is that no matter what system I use the UPP seems to actually give my paint a darker richer color compared to the other panels on the car that I used different products on. I kind of play around looking for the difference in the way two products look by doing half the hood with UPP and the other half with something else. I like the UPP look better. Somehow it seems to make the paint look darker and deeper!

John

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually do it quite different than most and avoid using clay unless needed. I would wash or rather waterless wash a vehicle (did a black f150 this past sunday) then polish the vehicle...then if there are any areas with a rough feel, I then clay those areas only ,with my Spray and Wipe, which has great lubrication and there is no mess or worry about water spotting. Then I wipe off with clean mf and do a light polish and then finsh with sealant or wax or both.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information