Thread: Oh crap...

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Oh crap...

I was testing out my new Bissell Lil Green proheat on my roommate`s Ford Ranger *with his permission*. Its still a lil damp after an hour but here`s my main concern. I was trying to do the flip lid to the armrest and the water just stained it, it wouldn`t come out! So now it looks like something was spilled on it and looks reallyt bad. Should I try and get the whole thing wet to give it an even color or what should I do? Is this a common problem for *extractors*? Are you not suppose to use water on the seats? It is a tan tweed type material, 2000 Ranger.
    Thanks.

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Wait...

Post back when it dries .... I doubt hot water would cause damage... I`ve detailed many upholstered vehicles with my Mytee Lite and never did it ever damage the upholstery...
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Those ford interiors are bad to show water rings. Is it the type with different colors alternating through the fabric? Blow it dry with a compressor, if dont have one, use lots of towels to get it dry. You could also start over with a foam type of cleaner, less likely to leave the water stains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, I dont have a compressor, and yes, it does have the colors throughout. Would something like Tuff Stuff get rid of the water rings?
    It really looks bad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its dry and it really looks bad, water spotted. Should I try Tuff Stuff or any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the tuff stuff, it has a nice scent, if nothing else.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d give megs 39 a shot too.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

detailpro

Thumbs up upholstery cleaning

Hello from Chitown,
    I hate to bust everybodys bubbles about expensive equipment, Istarted in the detailing business 20 years ago doing dealer cars and pumping all kinds of water into a cars interior is a no-no,(once carpeting or seats are soaked mold & mildew will set in) no matter how sofisticated the extractor is. The key to upholstery cleaning is the performance of the cleaner. All that needs to be done with an interior is to have a super duper vac and a spray bottle of upholstery shampoo with a touch of concentrated commercial deodorizer, vacuum real well and shoot a fine mist of the cleaner and brush thoroughly. Remember that most carpet or upholstery pros use as little water as possible and thats why foam is used. ( the bubbles are moisture and very little) Also remember this when inspecting a potential job, steer clear of abused and neglected vehicles, the potential clients that only take care of their vehicles once a year expect you t restore the vehicle and not clean it. Take a new vehicle thats has soiled upholstery, brush well and you`ll see that most of the soil is on the surface nap of the material and not embedded in the fibers. I wish I could teach a course on vehicle care because most of you young guys really want to kick but in the market place, but doing the wrong thing or using bad chemicals makes for difficult going. Don`t let anyone fool you there are no trade secrets in the detailing or vehicle care business, jut the right products. Don`t take on any job because there are 100 billion vehicles out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuff Stuff

I use Tuff Stuff. It works real well on my Vans light grey interior. (even the back of the driver`s seat, where my kids like to put their feet and push). I use it with an upholstery brush. Spray, scrub lightly, wipe with clean cotton terry, let dry. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm detail pro thanks for the tip does mold also set in carpets after you clean and extract them or does that only apply to the upholstrey.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    When I do my SUV. I try to use a foam type cleaner on rugs. I normally use that stuff in a bottle that looks like powder. It is kind of damp and come with a little red brush on the side with cream bristles.(I think its calle Carpet Magic) I forget the name but I use it on indoor carpets all the time, and its not to bad on upholstery seats. I have found it works quite well but you need a good vacum because when it drie completely it leaves a very fine powder. The mats I normally just take them out and use laundry detergent on them (Tide). Give them a real good scrubbing, (had a coffe flask freez and break on one mat), then put it out in the sun to dry. I don`t worry too about bleaching them out but as soon as they are dry I snatch them up, adjust the nap on the capret for a deeper look and its just fine. Is that wrong. I try to keep as much water out of the interior as possible, it just the mats just beg to be scrubbed sometimes. Maybe I`ll get an extractor some day but right now, that seems to do the job.
    R3
    It`s better upside down and in the dark...!

Thread Information