In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Couple of products let me down

Well, just a couple more weeks before I go live with mobile biz. (The Yellow Pages ad came out yesterday, guess I really have to go through with this now- scary!)

Anyway, I was doing the first Spring detail on my detail truck and was trying a couple of products that I`m just not completely happy with. Maybe you can suggest some alternatives:

1. I used 3M general purpose adhesive remover as a Bug and Tar remover. It was totally useless. Just stinky and expensive. I ended up using Simple Green (5:1) and a LOT of elbow grease. What do you guys like as an inexpensive bug and tar remover?

2. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze as a polish. (not a good day for 3M). I`ve been using this for a while by hand, and although the results are pretty good, its just a pain to remove it without streaks and clouds. I`m going to be adding a PC random orbital so a different glaze/polish is order anyway. I`m thinking Meguiar`s #7 or #9.

3. Scented FaBreze as a deodorizer. This is one of their new ones, not the Extra Strengh stuff. Initially its fine, but it just doesn`t last at all. They say that the scented versions have more airborn scent than the old Extra Strengh version, maybe that`s why. BTW - They also say that their Auto version is the weakest formulation of FaBreze (although the scented stuff seems weaker) Should I go back to extra strengh or is there something better? I`ve been considering an AutoMagic deodorizer.

Thanks in advance.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Biff,

Unfortunately, I`ve not used any of the products you mentioned so I`ll give you the skinny on comparable products I have used.

For bugs, tar and dewaxing I`ve used a few. Autoint (valugard) New Car Prep is a safety solvent. Bugs, tar, crayons, adhesive residue, deaxing, etc etc. I received a small sample and it worked quite well. I`ve also used Autoint`s Omni All Purpose Cleaner as a bug / sap presoak (diluted 10:1) and it worked well too although it`s not much of a tar remover. Lately, for bugs I`ve just used Poorboys Spray and Wipe as a pre-soak and it works good but like the Omni isn`t meant to be a tar remover. I think 4-Star has a Citrus based cleaner that can be used (most likely diluted) for bugs, tar, adhesives, etc. Check with Dwayne on that one.

Polishes; Not sure where the FI-II falls into the abrasive scale but I think it`s mild to medium (feel free to correct me if I`m wrong). Here are some I`ve used and would recommend.

Light; Poorboys Professional Polish, Meg`s Swirl Free, Poorboys SSR1, AutoInt (Valugard) Clear Coat Polish.

Medium duty; Coats Mild Buff, Meg`s DACP, Poorboys SSR2.

On the scents/odor removers I`ve used AutoInt`s Odor Eliminator which is actually non-scented. It is supposed to simply remove the cause of any odors. Scented products I recently purchased 4-Stars Tropical scent and it is powerful stuff so very very little goes a long way! Two spritzs into a vehicle is about all you need. I also put about 1 1/2 ounces into a 32oz bottle of 4-Stars carpet/upholtersy shampoo and it makes for a nicely scented carpet shampoo. But, like any scent it is temporary.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

You down with UPP?
    Post Thanks / Like
    For order removal I like Oder X by Turtle wax. I liked it when is was included in their carpet cleaner and now it comes as a stand alone agent in a spray bottle. Give it a try!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the 3M finesse hand glaze and your right its hard to remove and clouds up a few hours later. I was told not to use much and to rub it until it almost disappears. I`ve not tried it in some time got tired of the problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Meguiars # 9 and # 82 are both excellent for light/medium duty polishing. They are both fairly mild, and as a result low-risk.

For straight tar removal, WD-40 is hard to beat (other than the smell).

For both bugs and tar, clay works very well.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Thread Information