Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy SSR1 not smooth...

I have been working on my one car off and on for about a week now. First step was to wash. Next, I broke out the SSR2 and the cutting pad with the PC. Car felt much better afterwards. Had to work a couple of areas twice and still some minor scratches, but definitely an improvement. Felt nice and smooth. Then I followed up with some PP and a polishing pad. The car sat in the garage for about a week before I could get back to it. Pulled it out to the driveway last night, went over it with S&W, then broke out the SSR1 and polishing pad. After I finished, the paint no longer had the smoothness. It felt more grabby, for lack of a better term. not dirty, but grabby. I decided to put a layer of EX over top. Let it cure for about 45 minutes to an hour. Paint still didn`t feel very smooth. Did I do something wrong? PC used on speeds of 5.5 to 6, high humidity yesterday. Any thoughts are appreciated. It still looks good, just doesn`t have that smooth, slick feel to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may have done something wrong. I used SSR2 with polishing pad on a rotory, followed by SSR1 by PC and the paint was as smooth as silk.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    SSR1 needs to be worked into the paint more / longer. It sounds like it was not fully removed to me. I would try it again but this time work the SSR1 until it feels smooth, usually work it about twice as long as the other SSR`s as it has a much higher liquid content.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I had worked it long enough. It was starting to powder by the time I stopped working it. Is it supposed to powder? The paint was smooth after the SSR2, but lost the smoothness when I used the SSR1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is always smooth post SSR1 or SSR2. Did you shake it up really well?

What kind of towel?

The humidity could have had something to do with it, but I doubt it. PB`s products seem to be very versatile when faced with even the most extreme environmental conditions.

Was it at night? Like maybe some dew was forming on the paint?
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the powder sounds right and the weather would only make it dry slower:dunno

like EBP said....did you shake it well? ...also check your pads...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

what about

Did you clay the car after you washed it?
    On some of the cars we send to the auction I`ll skip the clay and just go right to buffing them. They often look real good but some may still be rough to the touch.
    If you didnt clay the car i would wash it, clay it, and then try the polish if you still think it needs it.
    Good Luck

--
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just and interesting observation... but I used Poorboy`s Professional Polish the other day for the first time (great product btw...). and right after I finished using it and wiped it off, the pannel was very grabby and not slick at all. In 5 min or so, the paint was slick again. I`m not sure why, but I got the results I wanted anyways. Maybe I didnt work it in enough/I used too much?

So what happened to me could kinda be the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I ventured into the garage last night to see how the car looked and felt. The paint now feels nice and smooth. I haven`t done anything to it since the SSR1 and EX the other day. I think I am going to leave it for now and add another coat of EX over the weekend. Thanks for all of the input. I`ll be using SSR1 again on my fiancee`s 2001 silver Civic this weekend if the weather turns out nice, so I`ll see if the same phenomenon happens with a different car.

Thread Information