No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question The Paint Protection Myth

I have alot of people wanting their cars detailed but don`t want the paint touched or even waxed because they have a paint protection package. Some of these cars are 5+ years old and the paint is getting coarse from contaminants. Others you can see the paint protection flaking off.

So what is the story with paint protection? Is it a short term gimmick (if a caryard is onselling it I imagine it is)? Any URLs to look at? Can we work with it on newer cars or not? Any other relevant information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dealt with this yesterday when a potential new client was brought to me by another client. He had just bought a new black BMW 6 and when I tried to talk to him about waxing it he stopped me short and said he had the delaer apply a "Teflon package".

I asked if he paid for it which he said no, but the next application he would. I told him that Teflon is great stuff.........if you are going to use your car to fry eggs

I explained to him why Teflon is useless for car finishes. Showed him all the scratches in his paint and the overall poor attention to detail in the dealer detail work.

So he will give me a call next week to detail it for him. In your case I would tell them that there is no paint protection that will last more than 3 months tops. In fact even those that claim their product lasts 5 years will also tell you you need to apply a "re-juvinator" every 3 to 6 months. For people like the ones you are dealing with I have them feel my trucks paint, which is a 1997, and then feel theirs. My truck is very smooth and when they compare with a "hands on" approach they usually come to understand the difference. Or do a fender for them and let them see and feel the difference.

The only true "paint" (pigmented color) protection is a clear coat and even that needs to be polished and sealed.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    In the `introduce yourself` section I threw something similar in, but no answer yet. I saw a website, with the same claims (www.neverwax.com). Can`t imagine what kind of treatment could it be.

Who knows more?
    How to say
    Klasse
    Souverän
    correctly?

No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My concern is with so many companies and possibly products on cars coming to me that when I do convince a potential that their paint still attracts contaminants and oxidation like everyone else`s paint, that the protection product will interfere with or hinder the work I`m trying to do to the paint.

I have to laugh when clients tell me they paid $350-700 for the package and they say they have to get it touched up every 6 months. Lets look at that briefly: Wash and EX or EXP etc for $35/hit would allow you to survive a 5year warranty period at 6month intervals. After a while people forget to get it `touched up` and the warranty is void - great money earner, just doesn`t make any long term friends.

There`s a new item for everyone`s kit! No wonder everyone hates dealing with a car salesperson (at least where I come from).

Thread Information