Thread: Black Vehicles

Go Deep!
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Black Vehicles

Whats happenin people!

I have a couple Black vehicles to detail in the next couple days, ones an Impala, and a Suburban, ones like a 98, and the Sub is an 02. Will be my first black vehicles, any tips, hints, or tricks I should know about, cuz I always hear alot of grunting when it comes to black vehicles, and definantly dont wanna put any swirls or anything in it!
    Thanks for any input!

:headbang :headbang :headbang
    :beer

Post Thanks / Like
    I just SGed my black car again, In terms of removing last step product I would just advise to inspect, inspect and inspect again for hazing/left over product because even when last step products are applied correctly, evenly and just thinly enough, haze/left over just seems to show more. My MFs get damp after a while from using qd to remove all the hazing. But in the end, what a shine! Its unparalled on black!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I SGed my dark blue Saab over the weekend. It rained today and the left over SG product is showing everywhere now. It looked great in the sun yesterday - I saw one spot. Now after the rain it`s hideous. What did I do wrong? Seriously, there are streaks of product on every panel. No way I could have missed all that. I`ll be having a SW then a QD+ fest here shortly ...
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm.. sure sounds like the cure time passed since you did it on the weekend. I never had that happen.
    I wish I could make a suggestion :dunno
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Boss_429

Re: Black Vehicles

Originally posted by FourStarDetail
    Whats happenin people!

I have a couple Black vehicles to detail in the next couple days, ones an Impala, and a Suburban, ones like a 98, and the Sub is an 02. Will be my first black vehicles, any tips, hints, or tricks I should know about, cuz I always hear alot of grunting when it comes to black vehicles, and definantly dont wanna put any swirls or anything in it!
    Thanks for any input!

:headbang :headbang :headbang
    :beer
    FourStarDetail,

Welcome!

First, be meticulous with your washing procedure, products, and tools. This means........... buy the best car wash you can afford, the best wash mitts (several of them), and the best drying towels. Use the "two bucket" method to wash your vehicles. One bucket with suds, and one to rinse the mitt after every panel. When drying you vehicle............. blot the surface dry more than "wiping"! A car wash that "sheets" water during the rinsing process will help. Your final rinse should be with the nozzle off the hose, which helps sheeting too.

Consider a product like Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe to keep the vehicle QD`ed between washings, rather than a regular QD......... or use the S & W first, followed by a regular QD. Also, make sure you are using the highest quality MF towels for the QD`ing process.

Same thing goes for polishing/waxing.......... use good products, and tools. When done using your tools (mitts/towels/applicators), clean them thoroughly.................. or don`t use them again........... especially on black.

Hope this helps.

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :beer Good explanation on that Boss i was going to post a tread about this but i see Four star beat me to it Thanks guys!!!!!!
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s what I`m doing. My parents vehicles are black and dark red. Mine are silver, white, and dark red. When a mit is new I wash the black one, then after one wash it goes to the dark red, then my silver, and finally the white. My dark red Stang I hardly ever drive so I`m using just S&W on it. Pretty much I`m only using a new mit each time on the black and passing it down to lighter colors where any swirls caused by the mit won`t be as noticable.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Go Deep!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right on! Thanks for the advice guys.
    I use Meg products, I like/trust them, but I will still take my time.

Knowledge is power, and practice makes perfect :drunk

:rockin :headbang
    :yeah

Post Thanks / Like
    I would highly recommend using a polymer product, such as Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant, topped with a coat of a carnauba wax, such as Meguiar`s #26 Yellow Wax.

The Polymer Sealant will help to protect against the UV rays of the sun. While the Yellow Wax will help to provide that high-gloss almost wet-look luster.

That is the process that I like to use, especially on black vehicles.

Thread Information