Post Thanks / Like

Lost about glazes

To glaze or not to glaze?

I like my clay, SMR, AIO, UPP, s100 combo I use most of the time now....

Do i really need to bother with them? If so, which one? And when does glazing come into play in the detailing process?

Post Thanks / Like
    In use a very smilar combo that you do and use the glaze after the AIO before the UPP.
    The reason is for two things with me, one it has some filler in it that can mask any swirls left. ( beleive me I`m not a fan of swirls)

Second is that it add`s to depth to the shine I have used it on my black BMW for years.

I have 3M imperial hand glaze, some here think its hard to work with and it can be. What I do is one panel at a time and do not let it dry to long. Then after wiping the resdue off I use QD spray on the panel to pickup any thing that is left.

There is also Speed Glaze on the market that I have read about here that some like.
    Hope this helps you in what glazes are all about.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    When I use UPP, I do not use a glaze. I have palyed with them when using UPP and have learned that UPP works best when applied after UPC or AIO. Of the two, I prefer UPC.

In a carnauba based system(and with NXT so far), I like glazes. I feel that they add depth and wetness to the paint. I prefer meguiars #81 on clear coat finishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beemerboy Dave, what`s your secret with 3m hand glaze? I applied it on my oxford II metallic z3 and didn`t get the pop I wanted. On by hand, let dry just a bit - ok, I went to grab a beer - removed and buffed with terry cloth bonnet on a PC at about 3 I think was the speed. I`m a total newbie so it could have been any number of things I did wrong. Before the glaze was Menz FP - which I don`t think I did fast enough and I also used 50/50 spritz to help remove some stubborn areas (doh!) After was Meg`s Gold Class (what a dust magnet that seems to be.) Got lots of complements on the shine but it`s not as good as I hoped. Being a newbie, I intentiallly left the trunk un-glazed. To me, it looks better. Of course I was more agressive wth the FP there too so ...
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I use 3M IHG, I never let it dry. In fact the areas that have dried on me when trying to do too large of an area became glue-like. I find that doing small sections and keeping a wet edge with the prodcuct works best for me. I have also found that 3M IHG seems to prefer 100% cotton as opposed to MF for removal. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Information