Post Thanks / Like

spray wax vs QD with wax

What are the differences between a spray wax product (such as 4Star`s or one the wax as u dry sprays) and a QD that contains wax (such as PBs QD or EF Clear Pearl)? I guess I`m looking for the true intended purpose of these products.

I see a QD as a product that adds the finishing touch of gloss to your already prep`d and protected finish. Spray waxes would add a touch up mainly to the protection factor and some inherent shine from the wax. Throw in QDs that contain wax and I begin to get a little confused on the intended purpose. Now mix in some of PBs S&W (like some have stated) and I`m really wondering what`s happening.

Though we like to reduce the number of steps to a great finish, it seems to me that these steps (QD, quick protection, waterless wash) should all be kept separate. Combining them would reduce overall effectiveness.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t tried every QD with carnuba, or spray wax, but, in my opinion, the sprays with significant carnuba like PB`s do not leave quite the clarity of finish of the best QDs like Platinum or Z6. I like to use a QD with carnuba when i`m taking a long trip and I want a sacrificial layer of protection for my sealer or if my wax is getting weak in an area and I need to buy a few week`s time before the next real detail. But for sheer looks, nothin like a high-end straight QD.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d be inclined to agree with ACE (yet again). I don`t really use PB QD+ as a traditional QD, more as a spray wax. I cover the whole vehicle then come back and buff off the hazed product. IMO, used this way it sure does add a "pop" to the finish but since we`re talking tradtional spray on/wipe off and shine type QD applications here, I won`t count it in the mix. But if you want to give your vehicle a coat of wax and have it glowing in about 15 minutes, QD+ is hard to beat.

For traditional QD I mostly use One Grand Showoff (carnauba based), Platinum QD and Mother`s Showtime. Of these, I think Mother`s Showtime produces the best reflective gloss. Platinum QD is by far the slickest that I`ve used and OGSO has a nice warm shine to it which goes really nice with carnauba finishes. Plus, like QD+ it will add a bit to the carnauba sacrificial layer (though not nearly as much as QD+).
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose the issue with QDs containing carnuba is the actual durability of the wax layer. Can`t be much. Not much wax to begin with. I`m in the midst of trying several QD products in an effort to find the one I like. I`ll have to try the One Grand QD.

Natty, after using both Showtime and UGE, I find that UGE provides a good deal more shine. I`m using mySilver (light pewter actually) truck as the test bed. Your truck is Red, right? Wonder if that makes a difference.

Just as some waxes seem to be almost "color dependent" in a sense, does anyone think particular QDs work better on certain colors?

:doh
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    why use a spray wax when you can finish just as fast with some S100, I don`t think any spray wax or QD will beat this.

Adding a QD to S&W is great when your car is just slightly dirty, more dirty than you might want to QD and less dirty than an all out wash. If the car is dirty I will use S&W and then a QD after.

Natty I agree the mothers does have a nice gloss, if you like that check out the Quikshine which is easier to use and glossier, like showtime on steroids.

Boss_429
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo
    But if you want to give your vehicle a coat of wax and have it glowing in about 15 minutes, QD+ is hard to beat.
    I agree! For possibly even more durability, and maybe an even nicer look, I like to mist a clean foam applicator with some S & W, and apply a light coat of the QD+ to the entire vehicle without removing. Then, let it sit in the shade for a couple of hours, and remove with an MF lightly misted with some Mothers Showtime.

Post Thanks / Like
    I S&W my truck every day and don`t use any other QD....except.....I`ll use a PB QD+ and S&W mix tomorrow prior to the car show for the extra shine I think it gives me.

I don`t even think about protection. I`m going to be wiping something on that sucker every darned day and will probably EX or wax it within a couple of weeks tops. In the winter coming I`ll be rubbing on her even more often as I woefully look at my baby parked in the garage while I drive my ole 87 beater around in the ice/snow/salt.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody tried Meguiar`s Quik Wax? I got a sampler, but haven`t tried it yet, and was wondering what other people`s impressions were.

Post Thanks / Like
    If a QD is added to S&W, wouldn`t that dilute the effectiveness of one or the other?

Quickshine is on my list to purchase.

I used EF Clear Pearl today with pleasant results. Just a tad bit "gooey" compared to UGE or Mothers. I`ve heard QD+ is even worse, yet easy enough to work with.
    Lt Pewter

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2wheelsx2
    Anybody tried Meguiar`s Quik Wax? I got a sampler, but haven`t tried it yet, and was wondering what other people`s impressions were.
    I have a bottle(no surprise there). It works but can be more work than a QD. I use a damp MF to wipe it down.
    Im Zaino free.

Boss_429
    Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed
    I have a bottle(no surprise there).
    I`d be disappointed if you didn`t!

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Boss_429
    Originally posted by rtbrick
    If a QD is added to S&W, wouldn`t that dilute the effectiveness of one or the other?
    I would think that one would have to take a little away from the other................ but probably not much. I`ve finally settled in on the following:

S & W full strength for dust and dirt.
    A mix of 80% QD with 20% S & W for final QD.

20% of the S & W doesn`t seem to take much away from the gloss of the QD, and adds a little additional cleaning (just in case).

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    why use a spray wax when you can finish just as fast with some S100, I don`t think any spray wax or QD will beat this.

Agreed no spray or "quick wax" is going to match S100 but I can`t do my entire truck in S100 in 20 minutes. With QD+ I can.

RT....good point re: different colors and how various products respond. Makes sense to me.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Thread Information