Thread: Cyclo Power

Post Thanks / Like

Cyclo Power

Well recently I was told by a well known detailing industry leader that the Cyclo "can not remove swirls or scracthes", I naturally disagreed and replied that to some extent the Cyclo can remove them, and not just "hide" or "cover" them up.

So I tested it.

I am in the process fo detailing a black Mercedes that is a repaint, at least on the hood, and had some pretty bad marring and hard water spots.

Here is a BEFORE picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    The first step (all steps are done with the Cyclo and the Cyclo alone) was to apply DACP with the Cyclo green pads.

Using my technique of covering a small area with slow overlapping passes one can actually generate some pretty good heat and friction and as can be seen by the picture remove quite a bit of the marring.....you can also see the paint now hazed up some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next came 3M`s Perfect-It III.

Same procedure and technique.....slow and steady. The hazing can still be seen but less of the swirls can be seen also. The hazing is alright as the next step will polish that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lastly comes Menzerna FP and white foam pads.

Once again I take very slow, overlapping movements. I am sorry that the clouds started to roll in but there is no doubt that there is a great improvement from the first hood pic to this last one. The marring has NOT been "filled" or "hidden" because the products I used on the test are all non-filling. Besides it was wiped down with a water/alcohol mixture to ensure there is no filling.

I placed a strip of tape down the center to divide the two. A picture of the untouched side is coming up next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now the Cyclo can`t remove all imperfections and it is limited in what it can do but if all you had was the Cyclo then with the right pad/product combo you could get some impressive results.

Now here is a picture of the other half of the untouched hood, a big difference if you ask me.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely Anthony, there is a big difference. If I didn`t already have a PC, I`d go for the Cyclo. Seems as if that`s the tool between a PC and Rotary. Speaking of rotaries, I think Makita is calling my name? :dunno

Great results my man, and I`m waiting on that video to come out that you and Irene are producing!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks better but I still see swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you inquiring about the last picture posted, 1/2 of it is still untouched.....can`t really see any in the picture before :dunno
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nickc0844
    Absolutely Anthony, there is a big difference. If I didn`t already have a PC, I`d go for the Cyclo. Seems as if that`s the tool between a PC and Rotary. Speaking of rotaries, I think Makita is calling my name? :dunno

Great results my man, and I`m waiting on that video to come out that you and Irene are producing!
    Nick,

The Makita is a nice tool and if I didn`t need a rotary in such a pinch when mine broke on me I may have opted for the Makita. You can`t go wrong with it or the DeWalt IMHO.

As for the video, well we have a rough outline for the interior already done and we will most likely start shooting in September or August for a Christmas 2004 release.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2001civicex
    Looks better but I still see swirls.
    Yeah you may still see slight marring BUT compared to the untouched side there is a big difference and my main point was to demonstrate to Bud Abraham that a Cyclo can lighten, if not remove, swirls and marring and not "hide" them as he claims.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    I see a big noticeable difference!!!

(Incidentally, you`ll most likely never convince him... - but, of course, you already knew that... )

Onthespot
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive post...

I do not own a cyclo, but I do believe that great results can be achieved with this piece of equipment. My only argument against using the cycle would be that a rotary would deliver the same results faster.

BTW... Try to convince BA that he is wrong !!! NEVER !!! In actuality he is extremely knowledgible but set in his ways.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony, I`m convinced. The Cyclo in the right hands is a very effective tool. Good work.

Thread Information