Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-11-2005

Default "swirls" in my paint

i recently waxed my car and i discovered swirls in the paint after i took the wax off. what product can i use to remove these unsightly swirls?
Old 12-11-2005
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: "swirls" in my paint

A little more info would help - car brand/year/color, along with the product used, the applicator and type of used towel in removal.

Most likely, you're seeing "spiderwebbing", which is the microscopic marring of the paint surface. It comes from the technique used.
Old 12-11-2005

thanx for the help! i got a 98 ford expedition/burgundy. i used a car wax from a local detailer that i have been using for years. i also used a small wax applicator to apply the wax and cloth diapers to take it off. can i fix the swirls?
Old 12-11-2005
Administrator

Is this the first time you've had swirls?

If not, what did you do different this time? Possibly dirty diapers (no pun intended) or perhaps there's fabric softener in them?
Old 12-11-2005

i didnt do anything different. i may have used a dryer sheet after i dried them. could that be teh culprit and mainly, how can i get rid of the spiderwebbing?
Old 12-11-2005
Administrator

Be sure to answer Forrest's questions above, about your vehicle... it will help us to recommend a course of action.

Also, tell us more about this wax and applicator.

Are your washing techniques sound? Please describe.
Old 12-11-2005

i bought the wax applicator pads from wal-mart (1.00 for 2). and a chennille wash mit. i always wash from front to back and top to bottom. the same for when i wax. always wax a section at a time. Is there anything im doing wrong? any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2005

What color is your car? Also model, brand, year and paint condition?

What's this magic wax you're using?
Old 12-11-2005

Sorry to hear about your spiderwebbing... I'm a bit curious about your drying method. What did you use to dry?

And what about these fifty-cent wax applicators? Are they foam, terry or microfiber?
Old 12-11-2005

the applicators are terry cloth and i use a chamois to dry. the wax i sue is a detailers wax called "super shine" goes on real easy and comes off easier.
Old 12-11-2005
Administrator

Likely the source of your spiderwebbing is the chamois. You likely had the spiderwebbing before, but either you didn't notice, or this time the chamois was dirty. Chamois are very unforgiving with the slightest amount of dirt and debris, and that Burgundy color is dark enough to show every defect.

Two primary approaches to resolving the spiderwebbing issue: by hand with a sealer & glaze to help hide them, or by machine with a polish to help remove them.

If you've never clayed the vehicle, likely this would be a good time to do so, followed by either the hand or machine approach.

A common hand method is a 3-phase process beginning with a pre-wax cleaner, followed by a sealer & glaze, and then a wax protective coat. In Mothers-speak, this is our 3-phase Ultimate Wax System.

A common machine method, ideally with a dual-action random-orbital (easy to use for the consumer) is a machine polish, such as our PowerPolish. Follow that with a wax protective coat.

To help prevent this spiderwebbing in the future, invest in some good microfiber products: waffle-weave drying towels, some plush detailing towels, and some polishing cloths, as well as applicators.