Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-03-2005

Default How to properly protect my car!!!

Good Day Everyone,

This is my first post...so bear with me

I own a Arrival Blue Metallic 2003 Cavalier Coupe and am looking to make it shine Since my first car, I've always used Meguiar's Gold Wax and have since decided to jump the fence and go with Mother's. I've red many reviews so far and kinda got the jiff of the 3 Step process and such but am a little lost on the pads I should use and which steps to follow. I've had a film on my car since the day I got it and am unable to remove it but after reading about the claying, I think that may fix that problem. Now its the scratch fixer that I need to get going and apparently the Pre-Cleaner should help with that. They aren't major scratches but big enough to see the white...and the bumper is full of them. Can someone give the best steps that should be taken? Any help would be apprecitated. I think I have a little bit of work lined up for me this summer as the prior years I've simply washed it...haven't waxed it yet so I want to make sure I'm doing this the MOTHER'S way

THANKS!!!
Phil
Old 04-03-2005

Default Re: How to properly protect my car!!!

Welcome!

You've got the right idea, and I'm sure you'll have great results.

If you haven't already, check out the "prep, seal & wax" section at http://www.detailguide.com

On thing that we all agree upon... you can't have too many quality microfiber towels. I used to be a "100%-Cotton" guy, but microfibers are replacing those in my garage, though I still like having a good supply of soft, plush cotton towels handy.

The Detail Guide will recommend some methods and supplies that will be helpful. Others here will have advice most certainly.

Also check out the Reel World section at http://www.mothers.com/reelworld for a Clay Bar demo.

I wish I knew what you meant by "film" ... if you can describe it better, that would be great. Hopefully it's not the clearcoat showing a problem.

For the deeper scratches, try a scratch remover product if the Pre-Wax Cleaner doesn't handle them -- Mothers makes a Scratch Remover, but remember to always try the least-aggressive method first when dealing with your vehicle's finish.

Hopefully I've been of some help, and good luck!
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2005

Thanks for the reply and info

It's hard to describe what kind of film it is...it may simply be the cleacoat that GM puts on the car but when I try drying the car with a chamois, it is very stubborn to pick up the water...it seems to spread the water around. Even when I wash it, I can feel that I'm not hitting the paint directly...it's almost like someone sprayed the roof of the car with a clear coat undercoating. I've never had this with my 2 previous cars.

As for the other info your provided, I will do just that and let you know how it turns out.

BTW, I have a Simoniz Orbital Polisher/buffer with a bunch of pads...1 foam applicator, a buffing pad and a lambs wook polishing pad. Are these any good, or should I just go out and buy some microfiber towels?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-03-2005

The polisher you have is similar to a 10" one I quit using years ago because while it seemed like a good idea on my family's '69 Ford with acres of flat sheetmetal, it became pretty useless on today's cars.

If you find it handy, I'm imagine it will be fine to use, though others will certainly have better advice on this topic.

Most guys here are using a Porter Cable 7336, but it's not a requirement by any means... and is a little bit of an investment at $100 plus pads.

Really, the Ultimate Wax System is so easy to use, you'll enjoy doing it by hand and being "one with the car" ... As Martha would say, "It's a good thing."
Old 04-03-2005
Mothers® Polish

I'd start with a good wash, then clay, and follow that with Scratch Remover.

Then, decide on your paint care program - one step or multi; synthetic or carnauba.