Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-11-2005

Question Mother's Showtime v. Mequiar's Quik Detailer

I have used Meg. Quik Detailer for several years, and I have liked the product. However, I never have used Showtime because it is hard to find in the local stores. Has anyone used the two and can give me a comparison? Any pros or cons? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2005

Default Re: Mother's Showtime v. Mequiar's Quik Detailer

I have used both and feel that Showtime is an easier product to use and leaves a nice slick shine to yhe surface. I thought that Meg. was difficult to remove. It just kept streaking when trying to dry it. I can tell you honestly that I feel Mothers is the best surface care products I have used. I have used an array of products in all price ranges. I will at times stray and use some new product and will dissapointed and return to Mothers. I guess it is human nature to try new things. Use Showtime, the outcome will be worth your effort in finding the product.
Old 03-12-2005

I've used both products and also favor Showtime over the Meguiar's QD. While I've never had a problem with either, I prefer the look that the Showtime leaves over the look of the Meguiar's QD. However, they are still very good consumer products.
Old 03-12-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Guy
I've used both products and also favor Showtime over the Meguiar's QD. While I've never had a problem with either, I prefer the look that the Showtime leaves over the look of the Meguiar's QD. However, they are still very good consumer products.
I coundn't have put it better...I think Detail Guy read my mind.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 03-14-2005

Is the Showtime safe and effective for removing fresh deposits on the paint (ie: bugs, bird crap, etc.). I have a real problem with bug splatter, but I keep my vehicles clean and waxed. Between washes, I usually use QD to get the bugs off, and it doesn't seem noticeably to scratch or swirl the paint. Can I expect the same with the Showtime? Of course, if the paint is really dirty, I just wash it. I am not really talking about using Showtime for substitution of a wash job... just a touch up to keep the bugs from marring the paint.
Old 03-14-2005
Mothers® Polish

Bama - Showtime is a perfect product to use for bug splat removal between washes.
Old 03-14-2005

Thanks, I will give it a try.
Old 03-16-2005

No doubt Mothers Showtime is better than MQD. Other forums even favors Showtime more than other brands. What I don't understand is that why meguiars is more favorable to most people? According to other forums, thier NXT does not even come close to FX????
Old 03-17-2005

Mamamia, I think that Meguiar's QD is more popular because it easier to find at retailers. In my area, you can find the QD at almost any parts store or at a Wal-Mart. The Showtime is very hard to find in stores and that is why I have never tried it. The only place that I haven't looked is OReilly's.
Old 03-19-2005

I have used both. After I did a Meguires step one paint clean, I then did a p21s GEPC then I did a Blitz wax step.

What was left was a very nice shine, that was very bright. Even when it rained it looked like it was freshly waxed. I know this is a die hard Mother's forum and I still haven't gotten a reply from anyone of mothers vs p21s and Blitz but I digress....

Mother's quick detail is better than Meguires. WHy?

Mother's doesn't dull the shine and brightness that I had. Meguires has a pretty good gloss, but it dulls the brighness and leaves what looks like a milky type coating. Not very clear, where as the Mother's is perfectly clear.

There is gloss differences between the 2 and I think Meguires will take Mothers in that dept, but other than that, Meguires is a pretty crappy product. To be truthful, the ONLY product I like is their step 1 paint cleaner. Their Window cleaner - sucks, wax - same as quick detail, dulls and milky, leather conditioner/cleaner - sucks, leaves a film and makes everything slick, even after a couple of days it gets on your clothing.

I think you get the point.

For windows, Stoner Invisable glass is where it's at. Use a microfiber to clean then a lint free towel/cloth to remove. I have rainx as a base coating, but that stuff does streak with the wipers. You can use Mother's quick detail to beef it up and this way works pretty well. Clean excess and streaks etc with Stoners. Don't forget to clean wiper blades either.

I guess I have rambled.
Old 03-19-2005

Enough said, Since this is a MOTHERS forum and not a Meg's forum, we should pay respect to other brands. However, we can all let loose in autopia.org.
Old 03-19-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
Mamamia, I think that Meguiar's QD is more popular because it easier to find at retailers. In my area, you can find the QD at almost any parts store or at a Wal-Mart. The Showtime is very hard to find in stores and that is why I have never tried it. The only place that I haven't looked is OReilly's.

.......You are correct, but we have to consider that MOTHERS is a relatively young company compared to Meguairs, however, its catching up fast. I am a big fan of the MOTHERS and its progress, I will keep on spreading the shine gospel.
Old 03-19-2005

Quote:
try a place like Napa auto parts, Shucks, or Pep Boys. These are the shops I get mine from and they usually have the 25% free type bottles.

Last edited by mazda p5 driver; 03-23-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2005

Showtime is all I would use for the last several years.

Now after trying Mothers new F/X detail spray that is all I will use, they have taken detail sprays to the next level, its Outstanding detail spray.

Does everything Showtime did with added protection and shine.

You have got to try it.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 03-22-2005

Well, Mother's Showtime is certainly on my list. I am going to order some and give it a try. I like Megs QD, but it streaks and often leaves a haze. My main use is to remove bugs and bird "crap" between washes. I am going to give it try. The only problem, I don't have a PepBoys close by and the Napa's around here are old school and don't carry a lot of detail products. I am just going to order some from the net.
Old 03-23-2005

Quote:
Well, Mother's Showtime is certainly on my list. I am going to order some and give it a try. I like Megs QD, but it streaks and often leaves a haze. My main use is to remove bugs and bird "crap" between washes. I am going to give it try. The only problem, I don't have a PepBoys close by and the Napa's around here are old school and don't carry a lot of detail products. I am just going to order some from the net.

It would be beneficial to use it after a car wash if you aren't gonna wax. It puts on a thin coat that will last a rainfall or 2 and of course brings out shine. I also use it after a rainfall and my car has a thin layer of dirt on it. It's much more than just taking bugs off. try not to sell the product short, it is pretty good.