Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-27-2013

Thumbs up New car care

I have a 2013 BMW 328i Jet Black and although I have mothers products I need to know which is the best wax to protect my car's clear coat finish. With the jet black paint scratches and swirls are starting to show. Can someone recommend a product from Mothers that can protect and prevent scratches to the finish? Thx
Old 01-27-2013

Default Re: New car care

The way to prevent scratches is to use a safe wash/dry process and not touching the paint any more than needed. A wax will not prevent the scratches.

What is your wash and dry procedures?

You need to wash using the two bucket method where one bucket has the soap and a second bucket to rinse the mitt to keep the soap clean and risk re-introducing dirt back on to the paint. You should not be pressing down hard as you wash. You need to use a good quality wash mitt like Mothers mitt and then dry using microfiber towels. As always, work clean using clean mitts and clean towels.

Mothers Detail Guide gives some pointers on how to wash and the videos on tips:

http://www.detailguide.com/index.html

http://mothers.com/03_how/03_how_02_videos2010_14.html
Old 01-27-2013

Thx for the suggestion, I will follow it to the letter and I will use the liquid California gold wax. I might also try the polish and seal formula to mask the light scrathes on the clear coat.
Old 01-27-2013
Mothers® Polish

Jet Black is known for marring easily. A good friend of mine traded a 5 series after a year from frustration due to its easy marring.

As abnot mentioned, washing with the 2 bucket method and a quality mitt (o2 2) is a good start.

Dry by blotting the surface instead of wiping will help. You will have to polish once or twice a year to remove the inevitable micromarrng that's going to happen; so you'll want to start looking now for a quality machine and appropriate pads.

Choose a quality wax with light cleaners, and use microfiber applicators and quality microfiber towels to remove it. Thin coats will be your friend.

Good luck, and welcome to waxforum.
Old 01-27-2013

Thx for taking the time to help me, I will use the advice thx