Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-14-2012

Default Brand new Jeep wheel question

I purchased a 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet Edition with the 20 inch wheels. It says they are polished aluminum but do they have a clear coat? I'm assuming yes, now, since I did this. I purchased the power metal aluminum and polished two of my wheels when I read in small writing on the bottle, if you don't see a black residue immediatly stop use, you have a clear coating. So I guess my question is did I just ruin two of my wheels? I do see light scratches which sucks, but can I fix this? I see there is a product called plastic polish, will this help? And what should I do in the future to maintain the wheels? Thanks for the help
Old 04-14-2012
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Brand new Jeep wheel question

Yes, those factory rims are clearcoated.

To remove the marring you introduced, try using Plastic Polish with whichever tool you used with the PowerMetal (clean it with soap water and rinse it well, then let it air dry before using with the Plastic Polish).

The Plastic Polish will polish out the light scratches. To maintain them, polish in the same manner on a regular basis - I'd suggest once every 2 months or so.
Old 04-15-2012

Default Re: Brand new Jeep wheel question

So sounds like the mini power ball with the plastic polish will do the trick. Thanks Forrest!