Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Marine & RV Care

Marine & RV Care Do you have a boat, RV or other water toy? Ask your questions here. Products from our new Marine Line may be just what you need.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-09-2012

Default Orginal Cali Gold Carnauba Wax OK for gelcoat?

Hi all - I have the Mother's 3 Step system unused for the past 4 years. Wanted to ask 1)is shelf life still OK to use now? and 2)Is the Carnauba Wax (looks like original formula, NON cleaner version) safe for my boat's Gel Coat?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2012
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Orginal Cali Gold Carnauba Wax OK for gelcoat?

If the bottles have been stored in moderate temperatures, you should be fine. If the product looks like cottage cheese when you dispense it, it's probably NOT fine. (I really dislike cottage cheese, BTW).

Which was are you referring to for your gel coat? "Original Formula" is a one step/cleaner wax. Step 3 "Natural" or "Pure" does not contain cleaners. Either are acceptable for your gel coat, but I'd suggest, if using the Step 3 Natural/Pure Wax, to use the Step 1 Pre-Wax Cleaner first to prep the surface.

Welcome to waxforum.
Old 04-09-2012

Thanks, I have Step 3 or "Pure". I have all 3 steps but for my gel coat why are you only recommending Step 1 (cleaner) and not Step 2?
Thx
Old 04-09-2012
Mothers® Polish

Step 2 Sealer and Glaze adds depth and a wetlook to a paint. It also helps hide micromarring. It gives its best results on a dark color.

What color is the gelcoat? Is it a metallic or a single color?