Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-01-2007

Default Protectant and UV protection

I have a vinal cover on my Spa, it is five years old and is in the hot valley sun all summer, sometimes its 110 degrees plus.

The sun here distroys almost everything. .

I have been washing it and applying Mothers Protectant every few months.

I just did it again and looked at it and got to thinking how Protectant has kept it looking like new and protecting it from sun damage all those years and how well it works on our cars protecting them from sun damage.

Its really a great product.

Attaching a photo of the vina coverl that has been in the sun for 5 years.

kbshadow
stockton Ca.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2007

Default Re: Protectant and UV protection

kbshadow,

How do you apply the Protectant? By way of a foam applicator or a microfiber towel?

Thanks.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 10-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
kbshadow,

How do you apply the Protectant? By way of a foam applicator or a microfiber towel?

Thanks.

Grabby
Grabby

On that I sprayed it on heavy and rubbed it in with foam, let it dry and buffed it.

On my car I apply it to the foam pad apply it, again let it dry and buff.

kbshadow
stockton ca
Old 10-03-2007

kbshadow,

With my experience with the Protectant, I've had difficulty applying it evenly. What I do is I give a squirt on a foam applicator then glide it across my dash. The dash looks really wet from all the Protectant. I leave it to dry and when I go back for it after around fifteen minutes, parts of my dash are dry while other parts are covered with the Protectant.

It's either I put too much of the product that it "sheets" or the product is not adhering to the surface. I used an APC to clean the surface for maximum adhesion of the product but still came up with the same results.

I thought maybe it was by using the foam applicator so I'm planning to use an MF this time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Grabby

Old 10-03-2007
Administrator

grabby,

You might try one or both (or a combination) of the following suggestions...
  • Work the surface a little better with the Protectant, passing over the area in one direction and then another in an effort to distribute the product. Apply more product to the applicator as necessary.
  • Mist or lightly dampen your applicator with water and squeeze it before spraying it with Protectant (once or twice). Optionally squeeze it. This in effect dilutes the product a little but might help promote more even application for you.
Especially if it's on your dash, follow-up with a wipe of clean, soft cloth -- there's probably little need to let it penetrate much more than a couple of minutes. If the finish seems to have too much Protectant on it, lightly dampen a cloth with water for a quick wipe before drying it with another clean cloth.

What works good for one person doesn't always work good for another, and it's going to vary depending on the surface -- but one of these suggestions will hopefully help.
Old 10-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
kbshadow,

It's either I put too much of the product that it "sheets" or the product is not adhering to the surface. I used an APC to clean the surface for maximum adhesion of the product but still came up with the same results.

I thought maybe it was by using the foam applicator so I'm planning to use an MF this time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Grabby
Grabby

On my car I almost always applyl two thin coats, let it dry inbetween, buff it and apply the second thin coat and buff it.

I don't do the dash as often as I do the outside trim, tires, cladding ect but when I do the dash with the two thin coats it always comes out even, and has the new look,, try two thin coats and buff well in between, also I have used microfiber to apply and it works about the same as foam for me, both work well.

When I don't buff it it never looks as nice or lasts as long as when I buff it out.

kbshadow
stockton ca.
Old 10-03-2007

Admin and kbshadow,

Thanks, guys. My interior detail schedule is coming up this weekend. I'll tell you all about it. Thanks again for the insights and suggestions.

Grabby